Sunday, November 11, 2018

Happy Birthday Terry (64) and Joy (90)




Today is the 100th anniversary of the end of "the war to end all wars"... though as we all know much  too well, in the years since wars have continued to erupt almost constantly around the globe. Too many poppies covering too many burial grounds!



Yesterday I attended the annual bluegrass festival in Wickenburg. On my drive there I saw lots of hot air balloons over the desert (and even more on my drive back in the late afternoon.) 



It was a beautiful day, with wonderful music, and despite having no "partner in crime" this year I definitely spent a very enjoyable day.  I arrived shortly before the music actually started, so was able to snag a parking spot close to the entrance and thus didn't have to schlep my stuff very far.



Sprinkled between the various professional groups playing were the competitions for Specialty Duets, Banjo (Tyler took second place), Mandolin (I was surprised that Mark didn't compete, though he did accompany Tyler), and Bluegrass Bands.  While I didn't agree completely with the judges' decisions, all the winners were truly deserving of the ribbons (and sizeable cash awards.)



Speaking of cash, while I didn't spend anything at any of the vendors, I did buy 10 tickets for the 50/50 drawing, because the money was going to buy books at one of the smaller towns outside of Wickenburg.  I didn't win half the pot, though the number on the ticket pulled from the jar obviously went to the person who bought tickets just before me.  SO close!  



Their booth had some items for sale, including a jar of buttons.  I might have bought it if it had been filled with white buttons instead of dark ones, but the woman who sold me the tickets is going to mail me some of her white ones.  (She offered to bring them to the festival today, but of course I won't be there.)



Also picked up a couple of (freebie) blue rubber duckies at the Ferrell Gas booth - and during my soak last night discovered that as expected (because the opening in on the bottom instead of in the duck bill) they DO float better than the ones that came with the hot tub. 



Stopped in at the Flying Pig on my way home (knew once I got home I wouldn't feel like going out again) to drop off Doris's t-shirt for Cindy.  She loved it, as did the rest of the ladies, and (if it fits) I expect to see it become one of her favorites.



Estera had dropped off a flat of strawberries yesterday, but they don't look so good this morning.  I see quite a buffet for Pokey!




Today is the AQG Fall meeting, so it's time to shower and have breakfast and then pick up Marcie and head off for another day of fun.  


No comments:

Post a Comment