Thursday, January 15, 2015

I was up late last night reading, and up (WAY TOO) early this morning (though on the plus side I have nothing planned so there could be a nap happening sometime today.)


Thus it's probably not that surprising that I've had time to finish one of the books I picked up at the library yesterday, a 2014 memoir by Martin Greenfield (Measure of a Man) that I obviously found pretty fascinating.  (I think I learned of the book after reading a review in a magazine at a recent dentist appointment; before that I had never heard of him.)



Waking up early also gave me plenty of time this morning <g> to resize and crop some of the photos from yesterday's program.  Since the method quilts each block separately that means there's no bulky quilt to deal with so it would be do-able (in theory....!!!) to quilt any size quilt on my regular machine.  I also like that everything turns out to be totally reversible so there really isn't a front/back.


For you non-quilters, notice how changing where you use the dominant darker fabrics changes the look from one side (where the green pinwheels stand out)



to the other (where instead the rust 'circles' take center stage.)



Because all seams need to be top-stitched, this method gives ample opportunity to play with all the decorative (but rarely used) stitches on our machines.



I think this placemat ("front" and "back" shown below) is the project
on which we will learn and practice all the techniques.




No surprise I liked this batik placemat with a Southwestern look.


A close-up of the 'back' shows some of the decorative stitching.



Here's a tote bag Betty made using the method; can't say I care for these colors/fabrics/quilting... but do like her easy closure!





Two sides of a large braid quilt:




This placemat has a silverware or napkin pocket on the front...


while the simpler back doesn't.


I'm not big on baskets, though for the right project
this modified log cabin would work well.



Betty also showed projects where she used yarn (!) in her bobbin to get quite a different effect on the bottom of a block.  From the group's questions I don't think (m)any of us had thought of doing that, and I look forward to trying it out!




She displayed many, many more projects and I took lots more pictures - but you get the idea.  Virtually all of her work used earth tones, though I suspect my project will "most likely" <G> use brighter fabrics.



By last night I was starting to get a scratchy throat, and this morning I awoke to find I don't have much of a voice.  If I hadn't already cancelled today's get-together with newborn Paxton yesterday, I certainly would be cancelling today!

No comments:

Post a Comment