Sunday, January 25, 2015

By noon on Friday I'd gotten as much done as I was going to, and decided to see if Alex would clean the pool.  I texted him to that effect, and in a bit he showed up with Ahmed and Clay.  The three of them did a right fine job, not just skimming the floaters off the top but also getting all the leaves off the bottom. Then they "tested" my latest batch of spaghetti sauce. I was happy to feed them (great trade for not having to clean the pool myself) and especially thrilled that I hadn't had to argue and 'convince' Alex that he should help me out.  A sign my 'baby' is growing up?



Mark and Theresa had arrived by the time I returned from picking up my clean sewing machine late Friday afternoon, and as a fellow quilter she really enjoyed seeing all my quilts.  By the time we finished going through my stack of lovelies Grog had arrived from Quartzsite, and the six of us pigged out on spaghettii, garlic bread, and salad.  I was a little apprehensive when I learned that Grog is a chef and caterer (to Silicon billionaires, no less!) but he assured me that his favorite meal is the one someone else cooks! And Carlo is also quite a cook himself, so it could have been a tough crowd.



Saturday morning Theresa and I made a trip down to 35th where she spent most of her time drooling over their huge collection of Southwest fabrics.  While I picked out some batik fat quarters for the upcoming class on Wednesday she carefully selected some southwest fabrics, and was able to tell Mark she spent less than $100 (though 'neglecting' to admit to him just how close she came...) Back at home later I went through my southwest fabrics and added a few to her pile; I look forward to seeing what she creates once she gets back home to Oregon.  Then we popped up the street to Jeannie's to pick out the quilting pattern and thread for the wedding quilt, and Theresa got a mini-demo on how Ruby works.




The rest of the afternoon we pigged out by the shop (nice crowd had gathered by then) where the smoked beef brisket, venison and elk were their usual hit; despite hearty appetites and return visits to the grill there was more than plenty and no one went hungry! The new juicer that Tom had gotten me last month worked great, and fast!  I loved my mixture of 'naked' orange/tangelo/grapefruit, though there were quite a number of bottles of spirits that most of the others were adding to their drinks.  Wish I'd gotten a picture of the set up, but by the time I thought to do that (Sunday) it was pretty much put away.  But Tom says Tim took some nice pix, and when he gets them he'll share with me.


When the gang came inside for the 'museum' tour Woody noticed my penguin cabinet.  Which was when I found out that he spent a couple of years in Antarctica (with the Navy?) and when they would open the doors penguins would waddle in.  I'm jealous!



Saturday night after the party wound down I came inside to watch the Ladies FigureSkating Nationals. Even though I can't tell a salchow from a toe loop or an axel from a lutz I still enjoy watching. During the commentary I learned something about the scoring that really surprised me.  They were talking about under-rotated jumps (which cost dearly) and how possible under-rotated jumps are now reviewed after the performance before the final score is tabulated.  What amazed me (since I can't tell if a jump doesn't quite make it three full rotations, though apparently neither can the judges) is that skaters are better off completing the final rotation EVEN IF IT MEANS THEY FALL since a fall is penalized less (!?) than skimping on the rotation.  This makes little sense to me since a fall seems to be a much more blatant error... But obviously what do I know?



Lunch Sunday we had a smaller crowd, but the brisket was just as yummy.  (And the good news is that we still have more leftovers!) Then after everyone left for hiking/grubbing in the desert I turned on the Men's free skate while I made the wedding quilt backing (all ready now whenever Ruby is) and then quilted the fish.  I also got the binding made and attached, and was working on the final hand-sewing when they got back from their afternoon hike.  Eventually we all headed out to dinner at Valle Luna for one last hurrah.



And that was my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment