Thursday, March 21, 2013

Yesterday morning I went to Busy Bees and brought the wedding quilt with me to talk about with Pennie.  She does spectacular quilting, so after she gets done with it it truly will be a work of art!  My plan is to get the border done (and the backing pieced) soon so I can get it to her before I leave on my trip.  That way Zach and Bekkah could have it in time for the Texas summer heat.... LOL

Of course the ladies all greeted me with congrats about machine; they were happy that it went to a 'deserving person'.  :-)   It was great to be back at a sewing hive again after so long!  

Once I got home I delivered some egg cartons to Estera - her chickens have been very busy (this is apparently perfect weather for them) and she had no place to put all the eggs.  While there I built towers with Willie (he 'dragged' me over to the block bucket) and also got to 'play' with 3-month-old Julianna before she went down for her nap.  Estera had called a couple of days ago to  find out about the ladies who clean for me, and then made an appointment for yesterday afternoon.  Having someone else clean her house was going to be a first for her, but I got a text later that she was very pleased with them.  (I know I am.) 

I hated to run off, but I had Alex's carpet to shampoo.  This is the first time all of the furniture has been out of there since we moved in 15 years ago; the water wasn't as black as some times that I've done it because I had shampooed what I could a couple of months ago when he 'moved' to Stephanie's.  In a couple of days, when I'm sure it's completely dry, I'll be able to move stuff back in.  Right now the big oak dresser is taking up most of the hallway, but that's no big deal.  What I'm really looking forward to is getting the captain's bed out of the garage (it's been there ever since Alex bought his kingsize bed.)

Then it was off to the library to drop off my March Madness entry and pick up a book on Hold.  On the way home I stopped in at Summer's house (she lives on the next block, almost kitty-corner behind us.)  When neighbor Lisa (& JT & Gracie) delivered eggs the other day, I asked if she knew anyone who might be interested in Carol's piano.
Lisa mentioned Summer, and since a house with 4 little boys sounds like a great place for the piano to end up, Carol was quite happy when Summer said she'd take it.  (Summer's husband, who will have to arrange to move it, may not be quite so happy...)

I started on the wedding quilt borders.  Figured out how many blocks I'll need (112, not counting the 4 cornerstones), ironed the fabric, cut one WOF of each color, and started cutting out my squares and triangles.  Then I was able to start the fun stuff: putting the blocks together.  Yesterday I got the first 22 blocks done before I ran out of steam.

But today there is really nothing else on the agenda, so I hope to make a lot of progress and 'color' a lot of that purple turquoise!

Tom mowed the front yards and Back 40 (again) yesterday, and did a little more trimming (I still laugh, thinking of Bailey's comment years ago about 'how nice it was that we didn't have much yardwork to do here'...!!!) so it's looking pretty spiffy.  We still can't deal with the the backyard jungle because even after the bee guy's second trip out here (to plug up another hole) we still have confused (and now really pissed off?) bees swarming that cottonwood. 

For dinner last night we went to Pei Wei's and ended up having a pleasant chat with the couple at the next table.  Both of us ordered the 'new' Black Pepper dish (beef for him, chicken for me) even though it had a spicy symbol next to it on the menu.  (It used to be Tom's favorite; he was bummed when they took it off of the menu, so of course he was happy to see it back.)  Although both dishes were delicious,  they were quite hot.  I couldn't eat too much of mine (I'll nibble on the leftovers over the next few days) and went through a number of glasses of water.  Tom ate all of his, and had a red face with sweat dripping to show for his bravery!

Back home we watched Argo on Netflix.  I had seen it in the theater (with Patti) but Tom hadn't. It was just as enjoyable and gripping the second time around.  FYI - I was isolated in Supai with no TV or radio during those years when the hostage situation was taking place; my only link to outside news was the weekly Time or Newsweek that arrived with the mail by muletrain.

Now I'm going to go work on the border, and later, when I take a sewing break, I'll post more quilt show pix.


No comments:

Post a Comment