Wednesday, March 30, 2022

SATURDAY was a very full day, starting at the cemetery mid-morning.  Yes it was quite cold (I was very happy to be wearing Alex's SmartWool leggings and shirt under my layers) and also windy.  But as Andy pointed out "at least it didn't rain."  (We did get snow and hail later in the day.) 

In addition to Andy & Sandy, Marilyn, and me, Ed came with the kids (Emily was stuck dealing with a last-minute delivery and joined us at the house later), and also Richie (Andy's best friend from school, like a second little brother to me, and "adopted" by Mom & Dad after his parents passed away within weeks of each other.)  We all shared stories and memories of Mom, and had to laugh when the kids' all mentioned brunch at Riderwood.  (It really was a very nice do-it-yourself ceremony; no clergy, just the way Mom would have wanted it.  The cemetery representative who was there said that in his 26 years it was the nicest 'service' he'd seen.  Usually the clergy (who may not even have known the person) does the talking, and he was impressed with how everyone, including the kids, was included at ours.)

And speaking of food, we all came back to the house and pigged out on a deli-style lunch.  Rachelle came over to deliver some of the stuff for Sunday's party, and we enjoyed a family prequel to the next day's celebration.  With all the kids there it was nice and lively (I had closed the kid gate to the stairs because Greta is only two, and it's a long way down) but never thought about Maggie, four, climbing up and peering over the half-wall.  Talk about a heart-stopping moment!

Alex called me on his way to the river (it was in the 90s there) knowing we were going to the cemetery to honor Mom.  He thought it might be a hard day for me, but basically it was a positive Celebration of Life, the kind of family gathering she (and Dad) would have loved.

We did have a brief "respite" in the late afternoon after everyone left (after helping clean up I got in some time on the heating pad) before Zach and Bekkah came over from Virginia in the late afternoon. We caught up on things (Zach's new job, starting in a month or so, sounds wonderful) and pigged out again, this time on Chinese take-out.  As a bonus we got excellent fortunes in our 'dessert'.


SUNDAY was the 'real' party, which exceeded all possible expectations.  We added more family members to the crew that had been here on Saturday, including three more little ones (Allen's great-grandchildren) that I'd never met. 

Brian & Katie, with Daniel (4) and Francesca (2)


Everyone enjoyed it when Katie played the flute - and Greta was enchanted.


 Justin & Ash, with Mia (just a few months old)





I loved getting a baby fix. 


My cousin Rachelle, with her dad -


and my cousin Ken.



Justin had created a lovely photo montage, which everyone clamored to watch twice.

photo montage


MONDAY morning was spent relaxing around the table as we continued our eating marathon, with bagels, lox and cream cheese for breakfast, and leftover Chinese for lunch.  Andy shuttled Marilyn to airport after lunch, and when he headed to a doc appt Sandy & I watched a dog movie, 23 Walks. After dinner we played some cut-throat Rumikub.

TUESDAY was Sandy's birthday, so more official partying/eating was on the schedule.  For dinner we went over to Ed & Emily's for Taco Tuesday (and birthday cake!) and of course presents.  As busy as their household is, with six yours/mine/ours kids, it's a happy kind of chaos.



Today (WEDNESDAY) Sandy and I made a trip to the grocery store in the very unlikely case that we might run out of food.  But since Charlie and Harry (with typical teenage boy appetites) will be spending the weekend here (Emily is having some surgery) there were things Grandma needed to make sure to have on hand - including snacks and desserts.

At the rate I'm eating I just hope I can still fit into my jeans by the end of the trip!


I'm still working on loading/editing photos, but figured I'd better post what I have so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment