Thursday, January 18, 2018

Yesterday was another enjoyable morning at Busy Bees.  I was buzzing around (for a change arrived early enough to enjoy the social time beforehand) and got an additional charge hearing from a couple of ladies about my energy!  Show & Tell at the end of meetings is always fun - but naturally even more so when I have something to share!  (The border will look better when it's actually blind-stitched to the back.)



Susan brought in this applique top, offering it as the BB donation for the AQG small quilt auction in March.  But after last year's auction, with its many, many issues (I helped draft the BB letter to the folks in charge of the quilt show, outlining our various concerns, along with constructive criticism and suggestions for possible solutions) we decided that this work of art should instead be our next BB raffle quilt.  Of course after Monica quilts it, it will be even more spectacular!



Carol brought in several charity quilts, and this pattern she used is one (of many!) I'm planning - or at least definitely hoping - to whip up at next month's quilt retreat. If I actually get around to all the ideas I'm collecting in my "take to retreat" bucket, it's possible I might actually end up getting 'rid' of  as much as 1% of my already-cut 2x4 strips. <g>



Betsy made these blocks at a class Joni taught a couple of years ago,
and her finished quilt turned out wonderful.


Left-over blocks?  We all know that's NO problem.... just put them on the back!


And speaking of Joni - Grace finished up this quilt that Joni was working on for her son when she died.  No doubt it will be an extra-special one for him.



Pat, a retired nurse, made this quilt from blocks signed by families of ovarian cancer victims.


And this one for her daughter - which we urged her to enter in the upcoming AQG show.



Susan had a funny story to go along with this felt wall-hanging.



After the meeting Laura stopped by to pick up some of my "leftover" penguins; she's a fellow penguin collector, so I know they will feel comfortable in their new home.  Carol also came by after the meeting to pick up the couple of bolts of baby flannel I had offered her for backings (bought them at a moving sale years ago at bargain basement prices, but never used any) after I learned she makes NICU and baby quilts with a Tuesday quilt group she belongs to.



Linda, Yolanda and Judy arrived on schedule for our meeting to work on updating the Foothills bylaws.  There were no issues, so despite the number of things to address we finished up fairly quickly.  Linda was then heading to 35th Ave. to buy fabric to whip up a project for a class she will be teaching.  She invited me to go with her, but I actually declined


In the first place, I do not "need" any more fabric.  Secondly, stretching out on the heating pad sounded like a better option for my back than walking around and/or standing on the hard floor at the quilt store. 


However....


Rumor has it <g> that Linda managed to find what she needed - 
and without my "expert" help.



We had dinner with Alex, who had been cooking a batch of chili in the crockpot all day.  Afterward, I watched some additional episodes of Ozark on his TV (bigger and better picture than on my iPad.)



Tom went to Quartzsite this morning with Gary.  Unfortunately when he was setting his alarm last night he hit 5 instead of 6 - so I was awakened earlier than I would have liked.  



This morning I had a routine check-up with my oncologist (had actually forgotten that this month marks my 6-year anniversary!) All my "studying" for Monday's redo of my blood test worked since the newer numbers were basically half of what they had registered on Thursday, dropping well within the normal range.  All other tests (cancer markers, white blood count, etc.) were excellent, so I'm good-to-go for another 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment