Sunday, January 7, 2018

I've been working on my AQG quilt show entry form, and need to come up with a name for my spool quilt.  One possibility is "Variegated Threads", which was the theme of the VOS block challenge.  When I looked up variegated threads (hoping to stumble across something a little catchier) one link sent to me a blog where Dawn discussed how to select the 'correct' variegated thread for your quilts.  Tucked in among her very helpful information I came across this important gem.  Who knew?

When you’re shopping for variegated thread be aware that the way it winds on the cone can fool you into thinking you’re looking at two completely different colorways. Both cones are identical colorways (Superior Threads King Tut #918 - Joseph’s Coat), yet the cones look completely different. Double check labels when stocking up so that you don’t end up with two cones of the same color by accident, thinking you were getting two different colorways. 


 Her entry was  full of a lot more useful information, including

examine the frequency of color changes. Some threads change colors quickly—as often as every inch or so. Others may not change shades for six inches or more. Longer color segments may be fine on a busy quilt or with larger quilting designs. However, it could also make the quilting look splotchy if large concentrations of one color dominate the quilt or your quilting is denser in certain areas and may be magnified if there is high contrast among the thread colors. Photo 5 shows three different threads that each have similar shades of autumn colors. However, the distance between color changes is different for each.


Up until this point I had been choosing my threads simply by their pretty colors.  (Bet I'm not alone there!)


For my quilting friends who would care to read the entire blog entry, here it is:



Once I'm done with my morning EmergenC (and 'important' catching up on the computer) it's off  to the garage for an early start.  With a little luck I hope to get a lot more accomplished!  Then, after a shower (no surprise that it is incredibly dusty in there!) I'll treat myself to another hearty lunch of turkey soup before heading out to pick up grab bars.  (Marcie made a couple of excellent suggestions yesterday, both of which will make it even safer!)  Depending on my energy level at that point, there is also the possibility of a stop at Bed, Bath & Beyond for some of the things we still need in the kitchen.



When I do run out of steam, I plan to curl up and read.  (Would love to do that in the hot tub; too bad it's not currently a part of my life!)   Last night in bed I started reading The Last Runaway, by Tracy Chevalier, and having been enjoying it since the first page.

No comments:

Post a Comment