Saturday, June 22, 2013

Heard about this race on the news last night. These people are nuts!

And 'just in case' any of you are wondering <G> 
I will NOT be participating this afternoon!

Scottsdale Beat the Heat Race, an event held to commemorate the Phoenix area’s hottest day on record, June 26, 1990, when temperatures peaked at 122 degrees at 2:47 p.m. The race will start precisely at that time, and temperatures are expected to hit 106 degrees.

Of course there will be emergency personnel on hand, and I expect to hear details on the news tonight of how many racers dropped in the heat.  You can read more about the race here. 

I know where I was in June of 1990; we moved into the Kingman house on June 6.  Of course it's somewhat cooler up there than in Phoenix, but it was still HOT.  And it didn't help that I was 6 months pregnant with Lisa.  After we got all the stuff moved (but not organized) Tom returned to Nevada (where he was then working) for the week.  When I talked to him on the phone each evening, I 'may' have complained about how hot it was in the house. He said it was a larger place and probably the swamp cooler was just having a harder time cooler the larger area.  I wanted to get someone out to look at it, but he said to just wait until he got home (in a week) and he'd take a look at it.  

The pads were not getting any water, so all the unit was doing was pumping the very hot outside air into the sealed up house.  No wonder I was miserable - It was like I was running a heater!!!!!!!!!  

At least he had the grace to apologize, although I doubt he truly understood just how bad it had been for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment