Thursday, January 7, 2021

 I decided to watch coverage of yesterday's electoral vote at the Capitol.  While I knew to expect a challenge early on, as soon as the alphabetical roll call got to Arizona, I certainly was not expecting rioters to storm the building, breach the barricades, and smash windows to gain entry.  

It was like watching an attempted coup unfold in a Banana Republic. 

Given tRump's nearby rally (no doubt rife with his usual inciteful rhetoric) MAYBE they should have had more security in place at the Capitol?  It took hours for him to address the situation and tweet that they should "remain" peaceful (HAH) and go home, and of course that message was severely diluted by his continued false assertion that he had 'really won the election but it was stolen from him.'



Alex brought over a yummy chicken and veggie pasta dish to share for lunch (he'd made up a huge batch for his dinner the night before) and it was so filling that neither Tom nor I had any interest in dinner last night.  I haven't weighed myself since I broke my foot, but have been nibbling on some of the chocolate goodies, so I am curious.  But since I'm not willing to balance on one leg without support I'll just have to wait to weigh myself.


Last night I finished Erik Larson's The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz.  Though I was certainly well aware of the Blitz, I hadn't realized how truly intense it had been.  The book was quite an eye-opener, and in more ways than one.  Who knew Churchill was a nudist?


I'm currently reading Talking to Strangers, Malcolm Gladwell's newest book, which Andy had recommended.  I had found Gladwell's book Outliers quite interesting, and this one is also.



I got a better night's sleep last night.  There's nothing on my agenda today, although we will be getting irrigation in the afternoon (and are back to having to do the main gate on 35th Ave.)  Naturally I'm off of irrigation duty for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment