Monday, June 18, 2018

Sunday morning I had some prints of Bailey's quilt printed up for Ann, and they are currently out in the mailbox for today's pickup.  While I was at Walgreens I also found the travel-size sunscreen that Tom needed for his trip.  I scored the last one left in the bin, so it would appear that he's not the sole person who is toting only carry-on luggage.



I gave Mom a call yesterday.  Hadn't heard from her lately, 
though just assumed that she was busy as usual:
"Maybe next week things will slow down.  This is a recording."  


Turns out that she had been sick all week - 
though happily seems to be over the worst of whatever bug laid her low.  


She had received the pix from our trip to see Suzanne in NY last month, 
and of course enjoyed the tangible reminders of our trip.



Yesterday morning I got Bailey's label "corrected" (took three whole stitches to create a hypen…) and then affixed to her quilt, and in the afternoon finished binding the t-shirt quilt!  That quilt still needs its label, but I'm going to consider it (finally!) finished.  Alex and Tom balanced on the couch and held it up for me yesterday so I could take a pic and give it its 15 seconds of fame here:



Our electricity blipped out in the early afternoon yesterday, though just for a few seconds.  Of course it was still enough to set all the clocks flashing (and some of the new appliances were harder to reset than others) but also worrisome to boot.  Our house is old, and thus so is much of the infrastructure. However, a few phone calls to neighbors confirmed that happily it was not our problem to deal with... others had the same brief electrical episode as well, so whatever the issue was it belonged to APS.



Tom and Alex did a little last minute shopping, getting Tom a sun hat for the trip, and also lightweight SPF pants.  Those needed to be hemmed about 3 inches, and guess who got to do that?


  Marcie came over and helped; she's quite a seamstress, having made clothing all her life.  While Tom didn't really care how the pants looked (just that they wouldn't drag in the surf and sand) I got many helpful hints on the process.  Yes she was somewhat stunned and amazed at how clueless I was... and stressed over the process.


The hems actually turned out quite nicely, 
so maybe next time I'll be more confident and relaxed?



I whipped up a traditional Fathers Day feast, grilling steaks (with sides of corn-on-the-cob, ranch beans, potato salad, and melon) and got no complaints from the guys.  



Hopefully it sustained them on their red-eye flight, which left a little after midnight last night.  Not sure if they were able to get much sleep since it was not a direct flight.  Even though the plane was scheduled to make a stop "somewhere" along the way, I don't think they had to actually change planes until they landed in Florida, which was somewhat of a plus.



Tom and I played a couple of games of cribbage in the evening while Alex finished packing.  Despite being quite tired (wasn't even sure if I'd be able to stay awake to see them off around 10, when they left to park the truck at a friend's house near the airport) I won both games.  Then I got a second wind and ended up reading until almost 11 last night.



Tyga is back with me for this week, and actually woke me up at 7:00 this morning (haven't slept in like that in ages!) barking at something.... most likely Pokey.  Here's that "intruder" enjoying some grapes for breakfast today, next to the water bowl that Tyga seems to not be inclined to share with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment