Thursday, August 8, 2019



Tuesday James and I stopped for lunch in Leadville, at Wild Bill's for burgers.  We ate at the picnic tables out front, so Brownie was able to sit with us.  Later, when we passed Safeway, I looked for the taco truck in the parking lot.  It wasn't there, though there was a food truck in the adjacent lot.

On Tennessee Pass (over the Continental Divide), we came around a corner and I had to slow down for a spectacularly majestic bull moose trotting across the road not 10 yards from us!  He was definitely in his prime, and it was quite a magical moment.  James grabbed his phone to snap some pix, but it happened too fast and he soon had disappeared into the trees.



The final part of the drive was a 90-mile stretch of I-70.  It has beautiful scenery, and the 20 miles through Glenwood Canyon is particularly impressive.  After I dropped off James I spent the night in
Rifle.  There was a lingering odor in room, and I discovered the source in the morning when I went to microwave water for my 'coffee'.  Someone had wanted to reheat a fast-food sandwich - wrapped in foil! - and left it in there.  Obviously the house-keeping staff doesn't check the microwave.  Surprisingly the microwave still worked for me.




Wednesday morning I had just started the drive back and had only a handful of miles under my belt when I got a scare.  The speed Limit is 75, and I was in the right lane doing something between 70 and 75.  Checking my mirrors I spotted some idiot in the fast lane in such a hurry that he was abreast of the other car approaching me.  I moved half onto the shoulder just in time, and it definitely got my heart pumping.



Shortly before I was to exit I-70 there was a traffic delay for road work.  It was stop & go for two miles, which took 20 minutes, so that the two lanes could merge into one  - for maybe 20 feet of  roadwork.



In Leadville I bought a flat of Palisade peaches (the peach guy has not shown up in Salida yet this year) and planned to have lunch there.  I was going to check out the food truck in hopes that it was "our" truck from two years ago, but it wasn't there.  My 2nd choice was Wild Bill's for a another burger - and scored a parking spot right in front... unfortunately because they weren't going to open for another half hour.


So I continued on to Buena Vista, where I stopped at a Subway.  (There are lots of other good places to eat, but I wanted something I could eat in the car so I wouldn't have to leave Brownie locked up.)  While waiting in line to order I called Tom and had him check my calendar for any October obligations so Marilyn and I can coordinate our trip to Maryland.  I also convinced him to call zanjero Terry to schedule back-up irrigation for later this month (Alex is hoping to be around to take care of it for us.)



Almost back, I stopped in Villa Grove for ice cream, and in 2 minutes I was in the store Brownie snuck the Subway wrapper and napkins out of the door holder "trash".  Guess it was just too enticing?



Had an afternoon soak at the Party Pool.  There was new moss artwork, but my camera was still in the car.  Things were peaceful until Brownie more or less attacked a mellow lab/shepherd (female?!)  Weather was coming in, so it was a good time to leave.  

We ended up with quite a rain, which turned into a gully-washer.  When it finally ended I wanted to check my trailwork - and the 4-point buck Terry had seen several days ago was right outside the window.  While the does are everywhere, it's uncommon to see a buck.  I was glad I'd collected my camera when I got back from soaking, and snapped a quick pic through the rain-streaked window.  


Sadly water had found new path down my newly renovated trail and created quite a gash, so it needs more work.  However the good news is that the new roof didn't leak, even though it still needs the vent pipe cover put on.

No comments:

Post a Comment