Monday, May 11, 2015

Mom came over to spend the day, and for lunch we all pigged out on the leftover Chinese food. Yum! Then Mom and I made a trip to the cemetery, where I cleaned up Dad's gravestone (after I took a photo with a ruler, which shows that the stone is 2" below ground level at its lowest spot.)  Marilyn and Mom read the draft of the letter I've written to the cemetery, and gave me some helpful suggestions for improvement.

The rest of the afternoon was split between playing Rummikub (Marilyn caught on right away, winning the first game) and enjoying the dogs' antics.  Pippa and Frannie have gotten braver with each other since meeting 48 hours ago, and are quite rambunctious at this point.  It's certainly wearing them out - and also giving Sandy and Marilyn a break.

Marilyn and I did some rearranging of her Suburban, and packed up much of our stuff in preparation for tomorrow's blast off.  I experienced some panic when I realized my glasses were no longer tucked onto the top of my shirt.  Because they are rimless they tend to 'disappear' into a surface, which often makes them impossible to spot even when in plain sight.  And of course there was always the possibility that one of the dogs had found them, and was happily chewing on them somewhere.  Just when I was beginning to think I wouldn't find them in the house and went to dig out my suitcase from the truck (maybe they slipped off when I was packing it?) Marilyn found them; they had apparently fallen off when I was maneuvering the suitcase into its allotted space. What a relief that they weren't truly lost!

There's another house we can see from the deck (though once the trees totally leaf out that won't be the case) and while we we relaxing out there after dinner Frannie took it personally that their dog had the nerve to appear in its own back yard.  She started barking furiously, and took off running around the corner and out into the run.  This certainly confused Pippa, who gave one tiny 'woof' and was content to let Frannie take care of whatever the problem was.  But when Frannie came racing back around the corner she startled Pippa, who tried to escape whatever was happening, and almost ran into the door.  It was very entertaining for the rest of us, and happily Pippa soon got over her fright.


No comments:

Post a Comment