Friday, August 12, 2022

 Once I got behind a few days I kept findiing reasons to keep putting off blogging, and then somehow it turned into ten days.  Here's a basic recap...


MONDAY, August 1

I had my dermatology appointment (which I'd put off for years) but luckily it turned out to be good news; she "wasn't concerned" about any of the things I pointed out, and I didn't even need any biopsies.  

Since I was way out west I was able to squeeze in a short visit with Linda before her lunch appointment, and dropped off some goodies I had for her.

Had wanted to grab a milkshake on the way home, but incredibly that was a fruitless search - and turned out to be the first of several over the next couple of days.

Despite not having finished the book (and some spoilers, of which I was warned) I enjoyed the Zoom book club meeting.


TUESDAY, August 2

Always feel better after a tune-up at chiro, and we were both happy that I was barely out of alignment.  On the way home I was successful at picking up protein powder, less so at the gym hoping to talk to someone who could do something about refunding my PT sessions. (sigh)

I missed my hair appt (because it was only on my phone and not the wall calendar.)  Interestingly enough, the day before I had thought about contacting Shelley when I 'noticed' my hair needed a trim, but there was nothing on the calendar - and (obviously) never did.

Offered to do lunch with Alex (his cupboard was bare) but the first time I called I got a message that "Panini was closed for the 4th of July".  Luckily when I tried 5 minutes later I got through and was able to order my usual walnut chicken salad wrap.


WEDNESDAY, August 3

I took advantage of the 'cool' of the early morning to do major trimming.  Once the organics can was fully packed I made serious inroads at filling up one of the regular trash barrels.

After a much needed shower I picked up Wanda for our trip to 35th Ave., where I was greatly relieved to be able to match the dark blue sashing fabric for the frog quilt. (20 blocks done at that point)  Afterward we lunched at Panini, where I tried something new.  And yes, it was tasty.


THURSDAY, August 4 

Since we received serious rain during night I felt obligated to do more weeding in the morning.

Shelley called with a last minute hair opening, and I had just enough time for a quick shower beforehand. :-)

In the afternoon I had my appt with Dr. Ravi for the results of colonoscopy biopsies.  I was surprised that all three polyps (from three different sections of my colon) came back as pre-cancerous, so we're going to repeat the colonoscopy in three years instead of five.  Lucky me....

She did give me kudos for my perfect clean-out (starting the clear liquid diet a day earlier than required definitely helped with that) because the polyps were all flat and small, and difficult to spot. 

In the evening I attended an AQG Zoom, and really enjoyed her creative map quilts.


FRIDAY, August 5

This time of year I never leave home without ice water - and can't figure out how I got this stalagmite on the ice tray!  (We have no water line to the frig/freezer, and even if some water had dripped from "somewhere" wouldn't it have just made a puddle before freezing?)


My morning started off with an oil change.  I was still waiting on my new VISA card (after all the attempted fradulent charges, some as much as $4,000!) so tried to used the Discover card - but that expired in '21.  I had to use the debit card, which I've stopped using; the credit card, not actually linked to my bank account, seems safer.

Over to COSTCO (which was a zoo) for bird food, and then back to Firestone for them to reset the oil indicator - when he had to look on-line to figure it out.)


SATURDAY, August 6

Started with some yardwork, but with the elevated humidity levels (which for some reason they don't give on the news weather segment) it was quite steamy and I didn't last long.  I did more frog sashing until I ran out of the turquoise.  Since Tom didn't want to make a run to TOQS for me (I offered to "let" him) I 'forced' myself to head over to TOQS.  A week ago it was almost a full bolt, but when I got there there was just a smidge over a yard left.  Whew!  As I was leaving I noticed some stunning flower fabric that reminds me of Dan's incredble garden, and would be perfect for the backing.  I just had to hope that it would still be there in a week when I could use the Bag Day discount!

 

SUNDAY, August 7

In the morning I took a neighborhood walk with Brownie.  It was definitely steamy, though he was thrilled to be out and about again.  

Later we popped over to visit Mary, who is doing quite well post-op.  She said the worst of it was having to lie flat on her back afterward for a period of time that day, which made her back rather unhappy.  I can relate to that!

One of Mary's desert tortoises was out of her burrow.  I wanted to get a photo of Brownie with her (for scale), but he seemed afraid.  Considering he hangs out with Pokey (who is MANY times the size of Bobbi Jean) we found that amusing.


Mary acted as a stand-in:


Eventually Brownie got a little closer:

When I got home I started sewing the frog rows together!

  

MONDAY, August 8

In the morning I took care of some yard chores, such as fillling the pool (pre-irrigation) and hoseing off the porches (pre-exterminator), and of course there's always assorted weeding.

While I was out front Virginia stopped by for a visit (haven't seen her since she moved over to Yorkshire) and we spent about half an hour catchinh up on some neighborhood news.  


TUESDAY, August 9

The frogs are ready for borders! 

Alex made it home from his latest trip, to Seattle.

It's always something with irrigation.  We weren't expecting it to reach our property until 5:15, and then it does take a bit of time to arrive in the backyard, so I was surprised when I walked past one of the windows at 4:45 and it had already started filling the backyard.  Of course I headed back there to make sure the gates weren't clogged from some of the early debris, but by then the water had stopped.  So I called the zanjero, because my concern was that the people ahead of us (who have screwed up on COUNTLESS occasions, meaning we wouln't get our full time so the crucial front tree wouldn't get water) would realize that they let their water go early and then decide to keep it later to make up for that.  So at my request Jeff headed over there to make sure, and I'm happy to report that our water resumed right on time.


WEDNESDAY, August 10

It was the usual early morning post-irrigation weeding marathon, where I made some progress on dandelions, and major progress on lantana.  Then a quick shower, and off to Foothills.  

LONG business meeting (Ruth kept interrupting herself) but we did eventually get to Show & Tell.  I brought my frogs (pre-borders)


Kathi brought her quilt (I'd watched her working on it at the VOS retreat last winter), and it is absolutely stunning!  She had it appraised - $7850!  But well-deserved, with all those tiny, tiny pieces, and incredible workman ship, and Ami's quiling.

I grilled salmon for dinner, and worried the threatening storm would hit before I finished - but all we ended up getting was wind.  Tom gave my dinner (which included rice and broccoli) high marks, which was nice.


THURSDAY, August 11

I went over to Carol's to visit, and collect the canned cat food (left behind when she lost both of her kitties over a year ago) that her new furry friend won't eat. She thought if I arrived at 9 Mimi might still be on the bed, but she'd already relocated to underneath.  When I got ready to leave later I looked under the bed and actually petted Mimi (who didn't hiss or try to get away) so I can verify that there is a cat there. (The rest of the family hasn't laid eyes on the shy kitty yet.)

I delivered the cat food to Wanda, who was happy with the largesse, and will wait to hear if her cat eats Friskies.  Otherwise it will go to the animal shelter.  While I was there I got a RING alert when UPS was trying (again) to deliver Tom's stones (which needed a signature, but no one was home yesterday morning.)  Luckily Tom was in the shop and got the same alert (later he had to head down to accept the freezer delivery at Marcie & Mike's) and was able to receive the package.

Mary popped by to return the shower seat, which she never needed.  So my plan worked - if she had it she wouldn't need it!

I got all the borders done on the frogs!


Tom was going to grill steaks for dinner, and invited Alex (I'd invited him for the salmon, and he accepted, but then had something come up and had to cancel) who ended up doing the actual grilling. (Propane went out, so he had to go borrow his cannister.) Victoria ended up joining us, so I finally got to meet her.  Knew she taught biology at one of the BASIS schools, though didn't even have a photo to put a face to the name.  Enjoyed meeting her.  FYI of course she's beautiful.


FRIDAY, August 12

As soon as TOQS opened at 9 I went to pick up 5 yards of backing for the quilt, and also used my notion coupon for a 12.5" Creative Grid (which will make squaring up my larger blocks easier.)



While the cleaners were here I searched various airlines so I could make my October plane reservations.  SW has dropped more of their flights, but the other airlines were even less convenient (and, as a 'bonus', more expensive.)

My iPad seems to have bitten the dust today, but doubt I will get a new one before I leave for Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment