Tuesday, August 30, 2022

 Despite all that chocolate before bedtime I slept just fine.  In fact I went right to sleep last night without even listening to my audio book!


I opened my eyes at 6 this morning, which was on plenty of time to say goodbye to Mark before he lhad to leave at 6:45 to catch the bus to Denver for his flight home today.


His choice of tees for today is one I seen in previous years, and there's a great story behind it.


The first pediatric radiology department was at Boston Children's

Hospital, which was gas lit at the time. The X-ray machine needed

electric power but there was not yet an electric-power company in

Boston. However the nearby opera house put in a generator for its lights, so

the hospital ran a line to the opera house to get electricity. Unfortunately the

opera house only ran its generator when it was doing an opera. So, in

the words of pioneering radiologist Percy Brown, "No opera, no X-rays!"


No comments:

Post a Comment