Saturday, August 20, 2022

Yesterday afternoon Suzanne stopped in after her soak with Karen, and I gave her the snake I'd found.  I was "pretty sure" that Gavin (her 5yo grandson, who still remembers me from several years ago  because of The Prune Song) would love it - and she agreed! 


I'd picked it up on the road Thursday afternoon, where it'd been run over.  Amazingly both eyes were still there, and the underside shows where all of ribs were.  It is "mummified" (nice and solid) so it will easily accomodate handling by kindergarteners.



It must have been snake day <g> because just 30 seconds earlier a full-sized bull snake had crossed in front of me.  I was more than willing to help itsafely off the road, but it appeared to be 'on a mission' and slithered into the bushes in short order.


 In the afternoon we received serious rain/thunder/lightning, accompanied by much cooler temps.  Definitely glad I brought my 'winter' clothes, including socks!  Elinor loved my bright Arizona desert socks (just one of the many fun pairs Marilyn has gifted me over the years.)



Our dinner contingent included Richard and Elinor, along with Lisa G (who'd been volunteering, checking cars in the rain) and Janice.  It's almost always <g> a dinner party here, and (as always!) Terry did not disappoint; last night she had presented us with a shrimp/rice dish.


Later in the evening there were questions about whether or not it was me in a photo Terry had from way back (sometime in the early 80s) since it was shot from behind. Terry, Karen and I worked hard to figure it out (would have helped considerably if I could remember what year in the 80s I'd cut my long hair) but we may never know!


I was shocked when Karen noted that it was after 10 (I wasn't even tired), and then I remained awake and didn't turn off my light until after 11:30!  Opened my eyes this morning at 6 (already 'late' for me) but then went back to sleep until almost 7!


I'm about to head up for a soak, and more scintillating conversations (another of my reasons I enjoy my time here so much.)  Thursday I'd chatted with a marine biologist, and yesterday with a geologist.  Of course it also helps that everyone seems to be on the same political page.




 It's quite overcast this morning, so it seems wise to get in a soak while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment