Thursday, July 19, 2018

Yesterday (while I rested and blogged after our busy day in town) Terry made this upside-down peach cake, and then got started on another scrumptious dinner.



Late afternoon is a restless time for Neil, and yesterday I was feeding him a snack of pitted (by me) cherries to tide him over until dinner.   All was going well until he started choking on cherry #5 - and Terry was outside.  I tried to raise his arms (he goes rigid, and always fights against having his arms/legs moved) while at the same time hollered for her.  Between the two of us we got his arms raised, and whatever the problem was resolved itself.  


As long as he was gagging/coughing it wasn't as bad as it could have been - 
but still quite unsettling!



The flowers look lovely this morning - though everyone had expected the lilies to open several days ago.  Wonder if the hummers would enjoy them if we took them outside to share?


I did have a mob scene at the red lid "feeder" this morning, usually with half a dozen at a time perched on my hand or the rim of the lid.  Did not take my camera, and just (no pun intended) drank in the show.  Got to see the calliope again, though it was obviously intimidated and took a long time to actually manage to get a drink.  I certainly enjoyed more viewing of the thread-sized tongues; one of them seemed longer than the others, about half the length of its beak.  Of course I also witnessed lots of chasing behavior, and saw one bird dive-bomb and stab another on the top of its head... which couldn't have felt good!


One poor little hummer got "lost", and searched a long time 
on the under side of my hand cupping the lid.  



After we got Neil settled for the day I trekked up to the Party Pool.  I'd brought my scubascope with me (it's been collecting dust in the garage since the kids haven't played with it in years) and it was a big hit with the adults.  Several of them intended to look for one when they got home.  


A search, however, would seem to indicate that they're no longer being made.  One, labeled as "rare", recently sold for $35 on eBay.  



On my way back down, after I'd had enough sun for the day, I did find Katie, Warren, and EG at the swimming pool and left it with them while they're here.  Pretty sure it'll get a lot of use!

No comments:

Post a Comment