Tuesday, July 17, 2018

We did need to refill the feeder last night shortly before the dusk:30 frenzy, so there should have been plenty to get the hummers through much of the morning.  However, by 7:30 we were needing to feed them again.  


This time, for the brief time the mega feeder was out of commission for rinsing (yes, we're still bothering with that) and refilling, I tried something different. 

 
The hummers have not been doing well with the small feeder I tried, even through I checked each of the four feeding stations to make sure none of the ports were clogged.  



FYI my search online of feeders does not bring up ANY pix of that kind, 
so it would seem nobody else has had any luck with them either!


It took all of a second (two at the most) for business to appear, and I barely managed to plant myself in the chair as they were zooming all around me.  First I had one customer at a time...




Then there were two....


and three....








and four (noticing a trend?) 





Obviously word spread quite rapidly -



and shortly after the peanut-butter lid buffet opened its doors (so to speak), there was a mob scene jockeying for position.  However at some point they did seem to realize that there were unlimited seats at the bar, and the fighting and chasing off lessened dramatically.












It didn't take long for Terry to refurbish the large feeder (I had the nectar already made and ready to go) so I truly was only hand-feeding for a few minutes this morning, snapping all these pix. 

It was sure fun!  


We guesstimate that we'll be refilling out back again before lunch, around 11:00.  (Not sure what the feeder situation on the front porch is; that's Steve's domain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment