Monday, July 30, 2018

Another full house for dinner last evening (everyone needed to be here for the Science Camp orientation last night) still Terry took it all in stride, putting out yet another delicious feast.  By the time the gang returned, her peach cobbler was coming out of the oven - but (for a change) I was too full from dinner to indulge in dessert.  Deanna did manage to keep James from polishing it off last night, and I had some for breakfast this morning.



We had a truly spectacular sunset last night (smoke in the air does that) with the setting sun an incredibly intense blazing red.  The reports and videos of the devastation from the Californa fire are of course appalling, so the reason for the beauty is far beyond sad. I didn't think to grab my camera, so this stock photo will have to do, though ours was monumentally much more impressive.  (We still smoky skies again this morning, so I may get another chance this evening.)



Haven’t mentioned the hummers lately.  I meant to note we went through the last 25 lb. bag of sugar in just 6 days, a day faster than the previous bag.  (Terry uses a separate canister of sugar for her baking needs, so all from these large sacks are going to the hummers!)


I had moved the previous sack into place, and opened it without mishap, but that was not the case a few days ago.  Terry had set the new bag on the stepstool in the pantry and was patiently working on the heavy string that held it closed.  Somehow, just as she had finished doing that, the bag got tipped over on to the floor and spilled.



Terry swept up most of it (which went back in the bag for the hummers - they likely won't mind/notice a bit of dirt), vaccumed up the rest - and then for good measure I mopped.  It seems we got it all since (happily!) there has been no parade of ants.



I had a terrible nightmare last night, possibly not all that surprising given the atrocities, committed by both sides, that are being related in the book I 'read' each night before bed.



This morning I was awake by 6:00, so I'd already had my shower and freed up the bathroom long before Deanna had to get all the kids up and moving for camp. (Elijah was also awake early, more than an hour ahead of schedule, so Terry and I did have time to whip him up his usual egg breakfast.)

Last night at orientation the kids got all sorts of goodies (water bottles, flashlights, tote bags, etc.) as well as t-shirts, so they are all set this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment