Monday, December 28, 2015

While I am enjoying my current book, Citadel, by Kate Mosse, I was still surprised to find myself  reading until after midnight last night.    That was the same reason I was surprised (and considerably less than thrilled) to find myself awake before 6:00 this morning.


  Historical fiction has always been one of my favorite genres, and I prefer longer books since otherwise I'm finished with them too quickly.  This large hardback, with small print, is almost 700 pages long.

"Citadel was inspired by a plaque in the village of Roullens, outside Carcassonne, commemorating the Martyrs of Baudrigues, the nineteen prisoners who were executed by fleeing Nazi forces on August 19, 1944  Over time, most of the victims have been identified.  There are three commemorative stones at Baudrigues: one apiece for two leading members of the Aude resistance - and one listing nineteen other resistants, including 'two unknown women.'  Wondering about who these women might be was the starting point for this story." - Kate Mosse

It's starting to get light, so I'm pretty sure it's time for a soak in the hot tub!






No comments:

Post a Comment