Wednesday, December 16, 2015

We dined out at Carrabba's last night (Aja had to work, so it was just the 3 of us), when we discovered that they have a new menu.  I was disappointed to find that my usual, Talapia Nocciola (sp?) has been removed from the menu.  Fortunately the manager said they could (and would) still make it up for me, and it would be almost the same... which it was! And since I couldn't finish, I'll have fresh leftovers <g> when I zoom home between quilting and my mammogram.



Still waiting for the weather to warm up.  Although yesterday was sunny, with blue skies, by noon temps still had not even made it into the 50s.  (I am definitely enjoying my heated seats, which I seldom need to use!) Unfortunately these next few days aren't going to be any better.  Pokey is not at all pleased... and neither am I!



Alex's car is fixed and ready to be picked up - but his check still has not arrived (no idea what the hang-up is there!) Tom and I have offered to shell out the $ so at least he'll have wheels again.


I finished up my latest bib last night while we were watching Ken Burns' documentary on Prohibition.  I learned all sorts of things, and guess I should not have been surprised to find that liquor production leading up to Prohibition was the 5th largest industry in the nation. But I was!


.
Stayed up late last night, finishing The Color of Secrets by Lindsay Ashford, which I enjoyed.  

Although Lindsay Ashford is better known for her crime novels, in this historical novel she’s performed an admirable task in dramatizing the harsh conditions and social order in a small English town during and following WWII. It provides a glimpse of life in that era. While Ashford has also captured black Americans’ ways, accented speech, and other norms reasonably well, it does come as a surprise that Bill is portrayed as a rather mild-mannered character. He might be excused for ignoring the common racial jibes and taunts, but why he doesn’t retaliate, not even verbally, when punched in the face at a dance by a white soldier, is unfathomable. The long third part feels drawn-out, but the delightful conclusion makes reading to the end worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment