Sunday, June 14, 2015

Yesterday I had a trip to the Strawberry Quilt Show planned with Colleen, and when she arrived to pick me up she had her friend Laura in the van with her.  When Laura happened to mention she was "from D.C." I piped up "Silver Spring", and she volleyed back with "Four Corners".  To those of you not familiar with Maryland geography, 


that means we lived just a handful of miles from each other - so we attended the same high school, Northwood!  Go, Indians!


Although Laura is a few years older than I am, her younger brother David was in my graduating class. With over 500 people in that class it wasn't that surprising that I couldn't place him from his name (and Colleen would not turn around and drive back to the house so I could look him up in my yearbook...) 


(Did I mention that she had turned around for me once already, about a mile from the house, when I realized I hadn't brought along my thermorest?)


but when we got home at the end of the day I headed straight for my yearbook to look up David's picture - and I did recognize him!



Here I am with my newest friend Laura.  (Throughout the day we kept discovering we had more and more in common.)


My lizard t-shirt (the one that Carolyn hates) brought me good luck at the show; the same vendor from the Prescott show was there, and I was able to buy additional lizard fabric.  Now I should have enough to finish the back of my scrap quilt, so no more excuses for not getting it done!



The quilt show, as always, was wonderful!  OF COURSE I took lots of pix, though I haven't yet had a chance to resize and rotate them.  (I'm also wondering if I should post the pix from the show two weeks ago in Prescott before I post these?)  So many decisions...



After viewing the show and shopping the vendors, we lunched in Payson (at Macky's, of course) where the ladies followed my lead and ordered the chicken Caesar salad wrap in a spinach tortilla.  As I predicted, none of us could eat more than one half of our wrap, so we each brought home another meal.



And "as long as we were in the neighborhood" we stopped in to shop (some more) at Quilting Sisters.  


The store is closing the end of this month (which I hadn't known when I was there a couple of weeks ago on the way to Pinetop-Lakeside) so everything was on sale, 30% off.  Which made it pretty surprising that all I really bought was a quilt book!  Looking through it on the drive home Laura was so impressed with all the patterns in it (dramatic quilts from strip piecing) that she was sorry she hadn't grabbed one of the books.



Last night Alex stopped by the house for a bit, and was able to get the printer turned on for me; turns out there was a third cord which had simply come loose.  Of course his help came with a lecture about what an idiot I am because I couldn't figure it out.


While I can now print, this morning I discovered that I still can't scan; I'm guessing there must be another loose connection somewhere because the computer "can't find" the printer.


Do I risk another lecture from Alex (assuming he even has time in his busy schedule to come over and try to find it for me) or wait for Tom to get home to roll his eyes and give me one of his lectures?


Alex also gave me a hard time about my ever-increasing pile of fabric (are you EVER going to use all of this?) which was on the couch; there had been an abbreviated Show&Tell when we got back here yesterday.  The good news is that my hoard  fabric collection distracted him so much that he didn't notice the second Zippy Strippy bag I'm making for him out of the leftover snowboarding fabric, this one in a larger size than the first one I made him.  I hope to make substantial progress on that today because he's leaving in a few days, and (except for today) I have a full week ahead of me.



Still full from our late, large lunch, it turned out to be a late dinner for me last night.  I ate the second half of my wrap while I watching Liam Neeson on TV in Les Mieserables.  The big surprise was that I stayed (wide) awake until it ended - at 11:30!



Then I not only read in bed afterward,
but around midnight had to pop a pill to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment