Monday, June 22, 2015

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone, waiting to speak to someone at Social Security to set up an account.  Yes, I know I can (in theory) do it on the computer, but figured it would be EASIER to talk to someone.  When I finally got to a person, Rene, she asked 8 zillion questions, which is understandable.  But 20 minutes later, when she asked if I wanted to set up my account over the phone, on line, or at a physical building, I got very confused.  I thought we were setting it up on the phone today.  Apparently not! And when I very nicely asked her to clarify that, I consisently got snippy, circular answers (though not to the questions I was actually asking.)


Bottom line: out of frustration I finally just hung up on her -
what a colossal waste of time! 


Next I called the number Rene had given me (early on in our conversation) for the SS office closest to me to try to make an appointment to talk to somebody in person.  Which was when Shari told me they don't usually do that (apparently I am the only person in the state of Arizona who does not want to sign up over the computer?!) At least now (after putting me on hold where so much time elapsed I thought I'd lost her) I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon at 1:00.  (When I asked for a morning appointment she said those are not available, at which point I asked what was available in the afternoon, and she countered by asking what would be best for me... that would be in the morning, when it's only 100 out!)


It looks like tomorrow afternoon I may be able to speak with a person who may be able to set this up.  We shall see!  I did not expect it to be such a hassle trying to sign up for my retirement benefits.  Good thing I'm starting this whole procedure in June; the way things are going it just might take me until my birthday in September!


I sure hope so!









No comments:

Post a Comment