Friday, June 12, 2015

I had recorded the national Geography Bee, and got around to watching that yesterday - as if I needed reminding about all the things I know nothing about.  The ten finalists, ages 10-14, answered questions about some places I'd never heard of.  It was exciting, though, when the Havasupai tribe was part of one question!


Alex, who is only going to home another week, looked into setting up a trip to Supai with some friends (he even asked me if I wanted to go with them) but doesn't look like that's happening.



After the exterminator left I made a trip over to visit Carol and bring her some things.  The plant should help brighten things up in her room.  She had planned to put it on the "balcony" outside her window, not knowing the window had a screen it.  And the playing cards I picked up at the Low Vision store have such large numbers that they made her laugh, saying even she could see those.  


She was quite disappointed, though, after that morning's appointment with the eye doctor; he said there was nothing he could do to her lenses to help improve her vision (dry macular degeneration.)  She had really been counting on stronger correction to help with her vision.  I know she really, really misses being able to read.  I would, too!


I did, however, rearrange her furniture like she wanted 
(if she waited for 'them' to do it she'd be waiting a long, long time.



Colleen brought over 3 of her grandchildren (Grace, 7; Anna, 4; and Harrison, who will turn 3 later this month) to swim yesterday afternoon. What fun!

Too bad you can't really see Grace's smile - she's missing her two front teeth.


Anna started out a little timid in the water, but soon got more comfortable.


Harrison was also unsure of the water, 
and spent much of his time here on the step.


He was also quite worried about Pokey, and at one point really cracked up Colleen and me when he was racing around the yard (not looking where he was going, which is apparently the norm for him) and came up behind Pokey.  Despite the fact that she was lumbering away from him, he still freaked out.



Colleen insisted the water wasn't cold.... though I remember her telling me that she likes cold water.  It was such a cool May here (our electric bill was 50% lower this May than last) I'll wait a little longer for the water to truly warm up.




 As they were piling into the van to leave, Mr. Peacock hopped up on Joy and Dick's fence, then walked across the street and sauntered into Tom's driveway.  The kids, of course, were enchanted.  (So were the two girls riding by on bikes.)  I'm so glad I was able to arrange <g> that for them.



Last night I started reading Kate Mulgrew's memoir Born With Teeth.  I'm enjoying it, though around 8:30 I got really tired and eventually put the book down and turned off my light.  So I was actually asleep when the phone rang.  It was Alex, telling me he was at the back door.  


I did mention irrigation is tonight, and wondered if he'd be around at 10:35 to let it go. ( Obviously <g> that's way past my bedtime.) Alex bartended Wednesday and Thursday nights, but has no idea what his plans for tonight are.  Guess I can always set my alarm....


Today is the birthday lunch with Carolyn and Jan.  Carolyn and I share our September 3 birthdays; I was born on her 10th birthday.  Unless one of us is out of town we lunch together.  Jan, who shares Lisa's September 2 birthday, is 'allowed' to join us.  But Carolyn is moving back to Kansas this month (to be closer to her son and granddaughter) so we're having one last birthday lunch together.



No comments:

Post a Comment