Sunday, June 7, 2015

Yesterday afternoon felt productive.  I did several loads of laundry while I swept/mopped floors (I had done a quick sweep of the house between my two recent trips, but it definitely needed more serious attention) and also shredded a lot of old bank statements and other sensitive financial documents.


When Tom called last night to let me know that he'd arrived in Glass Buttes, OR he mentioned that he'd driven a different route since he'll be heading to Davis Creek, CA after instead of before.  That meant he did not have to pass through Hawthorne, NV, which turned out to be a very good thing.  About the time he would have been driving through there, a tornado touched down!

HAWTHORNE, Nev.  -- A tornado touched down in Hawthorne about 3:15 p.m. Friday, moving through the town at up to 110 mph for almost 2 miles. The tornado tore down fences, uprooted trees broken windows, and ripped roofs off buildings. Luckily with all this damage, no injuries were reported.Officials say five businesses and six homes were severely damaged. Some residents were evacuated because of hazardous downed power lines and structural damage. 


During the evening I relaxed and watched some TV.  When The Help ended at 11:00 I was still wide-awake, and finally (after mid-night) took something to help me drift off.  So when I woke up before 6:00 I was not that thrilled.



Before I get going on today's list of stuff to do,
I do want to post some pix from the quilt show in Kerrville.


I always see ladies wearing lovely apparel at the shows, and Betty was kind enough to let me snap a picture of her very pretty vest.



This Texas quilt was most impressive, with a lot of detail embellishment.  It obviously took a lot of time and work -and she isn't even keeping it for herself...!










Marilyn's friend Jana, who helped organize the show, 
had a couple of quilts entered.



This one captured Best In Show!




Because there are always so many spectacular quilts, it's understandably hard to choose a favorite; but using my criterion ("If I could walk out of here with just one quilt under my arm, which one would I choose?") Beep Beep got my Viewer's Choice vote.






Mini-quilts were for sale via a silent auction, and I put in the starting bid of $25 for this mermaid wall-hanging.  But since they never called me I assume that I was out-bid.








I like the curved effect of this bargello border -
so "one of these days" watch for it in a quilt of mine.



This scrap quilt has a dramatic visual impact.




Just a simple 9-patch - but very effective use of blended colors.




Another way to inject some oomph into a 9-patch:
add some applique on top and onto ends of sashing..




Again, adding a little applique to this Courthouse Steps and Piano Key 
scrap quilt gave it more interest.





I may never (ever!) make a true dent in my scraps - 
but it would be fun to try, right?




Whimsical -




 Idea for a memory quilt:




Simple - yet striking!




Hard to go wrong with batiks right? Perfect autumn colors.




Nice, bright flowers!





I love when the California poppies 'explode' here in the spring.




And who doesn't like waterfalls?






Fun, with the requisite bright and cheery fabrics!





This would look great in a laundry room!




Friendship Quilts are always special!




I especially liked this Log Cabin color arrangement.



Reminded me of a jigsaw puzzle with "matching" quilt blocks -





There were several quilts that employed the scrunched fabric method for a 3D effect on the trees, though I'm not really sure how well I captured it in my pictures.





There were a number of landscape quilts, 
and I was drawn by the sky and water in this one.





Thought of Bekkah when I saw this quilt.




This quilt was just too, too cute!


It took a fair amount of convincing to get these two women to pose with the quilt since they did not make this one.  On the left is Holly, who designed the blocks, and the woman on the right (I never did catch her name) is the one who gave the quilt class that Deb (the actual quiltmaker) took.








These are only a fraction of the pictures I took at the show (and remember that I only took pictures of the quilts that I especially liked!) so you can tell that there were lots and lots of wonderful quilts!  Hope you enjoyed them.  


And it's entirely possible that one day when I have nothing else exciting to post I could return and post more of my pictures from the show.



No comments:

Post a Comment