Monday, October 20, 2014

My drive to Kingman on Friday only took 3 hours, due partly to the fact that the road has been much improved (no longer just one lane in each direction) since I first started driving it in the early 80s.  Of course I still had to drive over the high bridge (almost 400 feet) at Burro Creek, but made it across without too much stress.


Located across the remote Burro Creek gorge along highway 93 about 15 miles south of Wikieup, Arizona are two of the southwestern United States’ longest arch spans. The original silver colored 2-lane truss arch was built in 1966 by the American Bridge Company and spans 680 feet between hinges. In 2005, a second span of 700 feet was built parallel to the original Burro Creek bridge. The new rust weathered arch now carries two lanes of northbound traffic while the 1966 span handles southbound traffic. 
A campground and wilderness area is located about a mile downstream of the crossing where you can hike along the south side of the creek and view the bridges from below. The site is a favorite of Phoenix-area BASE jumpers.

I also ran into rain the second half of the drive; the weather prediction was way off.  It got so chilly (in the 50s) that in Wickieup I pulled over and changed into jeans and a long sleeved shirt.


I had no trouble finding the Stetson Winery on Route 66, about 15 miles east of Kingman.  The weather no doubt kept a lot of the local folks away, so there wasn't much of a crowd and I was able to score a spot on the covered porch without too much difficulty.  Eventually the sun did come out and I could shed my heavy hoodie, but until then I had popsicle toes.


During the hour-long lunch intermission (only festival I've attended that actually stopped the music) there were some workshops, and the one on 'my' porch turned out to be on harmonizing.  It was interesting and fun, and I was already in place.



While I enjoyed the music I worked diligently on my counted cross-stitch project.  Afterward, on my way to Beth & Kevin's house, I swung by our old place on Bull Mountain.  It looks different - and quite neglected, although Beth later told me that it's been a lot worse, and the current occupants have actually been working on improving it.  There are also a lot more neighbors than when we left in '97, when we were really out there pretty much all by ourselves.



Beth had told me to let myself in to the house via the backyard and garage - but apparently she forgot to let the dogs know.  Rascal (though at that time I didn't know his name), a red Aussie that reminded me of Echo, did not seem thrilled with the prospect of a stranger coming into his yard, so I decided it would be more prudent to wait in the car until Beth or Kevin got home from work.  We enjoyed a steak dinner that evening and caught up on things.


Saturday the weather was much improved, and it was another day of wonderful music.  Tami and Allan made it in the late afternoon (Leah had come to town for a wedding and they all had lunch together in Havasu) and Beth and Kevin also made it late in the day, after his brother Tom (and Sue) arrived from Peoria.  Did I mention that Saturday was Beth's birthday?


Sunday I went into town with Beth.  Kingman (especially along Stockton Hill) sure has grown since we lived there.   We stopped by the cute house that Kevin is building for Sarah and her son Riley near the high school.  (Last time I saw Sarah was when she babysat for Lisa and Alex ... close to 20 years ago!)  Also stopped by Beth's office, and I love her ideas for Power of 8 workshops.

  

It was an uneventful drive home, though I was glad I arrived before the (not predicted?) storm rolled in, with heavy rain, thunder, and lightning.



Alex, who spent his birthday weekend at Tyler's cabin up in Payson, arrived home on the other side of the storm, and only got sprinkled on.  (I worried some since many folks in Arizona have difficulty driving in the rain, and accidents here seem much are more common than in areas that are used to rain.)  He had some of our dinner leftovers, and when getting himself some water broke a glass in the kitchen and cut up his hand.  Not the best way to wind up his birthday, although he (and a dozen or so friends) had had a good time up at the cabin over the weekend.



I was out cleaning the pool this morning post-storm (Creepy is much happier since Tom backwashed  yesterday) and saw Alex leaving for work.  I'm glad to report that his hand is doing better this morning.



Wanda is coming over in a bit to give me her expert advice on the final embellishments on Mr. Popper's Penguins.





No comments:

Post a Comment