Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Quilting advice

Whenever I make a mistake cutting I'm reminded of an old adage, and resolve to remember it next time.  At least I get the adage right....

This next strip reminds me of a story Mom told me about a time at the beach when I was just a baby.  She put me down for my nap in the cottage bedroom, and later went in to see why I hadn't awakened at my usual time.  It seems that I actually had.  Unfortunately she had left her knitting on the dresser top next to the crib, and there I was, covered in a tangle of yarn.  Apparently I beamed at her and announced proudly, "Me knit!"  So much for that project!  Luckily (unlike the sad stories we read about in the paper, with increasing frequency) I did not get in trouble for her mistake!

Like many moms, I also put notes in my kids' lunch boxes - but never one like this
although I did have my chances!  Just like this one

Last night's show on PBS was on hummingbirds.  I didn't realize there were so many different varieties - as in 315!  Here's one of the peanut species:

Also discovered that some hummingbirds have evolved with curved bills to access curved flowers, and many of the statistics were amazing, especially the number of wingbeats and heartbeats per second.  I loved the closeup footage; while I certainly enjoy watching them at the feeders here at the house (strategically placed for my viewing enjoyment) I don't have much luck photographing them.  I'm also envious of people who have gotten to hand feed them, although truth be told I've never actually tried.

Wonder what awaits me on PBS tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment