Friday, September 16, 2011

Another stellar day in the 5th grade

My mind functioned well enough in class this afternoon to wow the kids by remembering all 27 names, and attaching them to the correct faces.  Even had the kids switch seats, which made it harder - but I prevailed yet again.  However they did stump me on one word today, so they're already up to 2!  
 The word was quinsy, "another name for peritonsillar abscess; it's a recognized complication of tonsillitis and consists of a collection of pus beside the tonsil."  (So now we both know ...)  And thanks to the internet, you can even see a picture of quinsy:

I had my tonsils out when I was about 6, and don't remember much except listening to the record "Peter Ponsil and his Tonsils" (which did not make it to the Top 40) before, and eating a lot of red jello in its liquid state after.
  
When my little brother had his tonsils out, the first thing he asked for afterward was potato chips.  Of course mom didn't want to give him such a sharp, salty food (most normal kids ask for jello or ice cream) but he pitched a fit. "You said I could have whatever I wanted!"  So she gave him one, figuring it would hurt his irritated throat and that would be the end of it.  He ate the entire bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment