Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The other day I got an e-mail that my library card needs to be renewed, which could be done via the computer. Of course I would need my card # - and for some reason it's not in my wallet. At first I thought I had just removed a bunch of weight from my wallet before vacation, which I have done on occasion... except that everything else is still in there, including Mom's library card. Luckily I was able to dredge up the 14-digit number from the recesses of my memory. (Think I use the library a lot?) The site was very cranky, and when I couldn't get it to work (after trying 3 or 4 different types of 'taps') Terry putzed with it and eventually we got it to work.

Then I used her phone to call the number in a different e-mail. Barkskins has come in for me, and of course I'm not going to be able to pick it up and read it. No matter, because right before we left Marilyn sent me a copy for the iPad, and I'm already 3/4 of the way through it. Of course I should have deleted that hold (and put my holds on hold) before we left the end of June - but I spaced that out, and in fact have 'lost' another book that came in for me the beginning of July. Terry was surprised that I couldn't do that via the library site, so when I spoke to the library person to get the book back into circulation now (instead of a few weeks from now) I asked about that. And she confirmed that no, that option is not available (though I would not really have been surprised to find it was somewhere and I just hadn't stumbled across it.)

A (young?) grosbeak flew into the window this morning, badly stunning itself. Terry went out to see about it, and it squawked quite loudly while hopping around, trying to get away. She held it for a minute or two to let it get its wind back, then placed it on a branch. It tried to fly away but just fluttered to the ground, though its wings did not seem to be hurt. She placed it on the picnic table, locked Shadow's door (he, of course, was very interested in heading outside in order to get 'up close and personal' with the little guy) and for some time we kept an eye on the bird through the window. When it didn't seem to show any inclination to move at all, Terry was going to bring it in so nothing else could get it while it recovered - but when she got close it flew off. So hopefully it will be fine.

In a bit she and I are off to town with a LONG list of errands, and an even longer grocery list. The burning question is whether or not my Rx will be ready and waiting for me. Stayed tuned for an update on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment