Tuesday, November 29, 2011

editorial hits nail on the head


I agree whole-heartedly with today's letter to the editor, 
on 'consumerism run amok':
Black Friday makes me sick. I've watched a wonderful and humble holiday be dumbed down to mere carbo-loading for an extended orgy of vapid consumerism.
More people show up to shop for junk they don't need than to vote. Consumers first, citizens if they get around to it, maybe. But that latest gadget is going to be in the shopping cart even if you have to trample over everyone else.
I want to see people lining up to help kids learn how to read. I want to see people scouring the Internet for the latest way they can get involved in their community. Next year, after we give thanks with our families, let's have Give Back Friday and take a little time, effort and money to give back to our community.
-- Michael Cornelius, Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment