Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Brothers, Rivals, Victors:

Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley, And The Partnership That Drove The Allied Conquest In Europe, by Jonathan W. Jordan, was what I was reading today while Recording for the Blind.  
It's exactly the kind of book Dad would have loved  (he was a voracious reader to the end, and always non-fiction, usually history of some sort.)  I was fascinated by the two chapters I read, and would love to take the book home to read when it's done being recorded... except that  two other folks beat me to the punch and signed up already.  Love it when a writer can make history come alive!

Then I swung over to Peoria Ford - Lisa's new car has arrived!  
 That electric 'candy blue' color should make her very visible to the other drivers on the road.  She's (obviously) very excited to hear that it has arrived in Phoenix, though of course she doesn't arrive for Winter Break until mid-December - and you know she's gotta be counting the days!  It's her college graduation gift, and as the very proud mama I can say she's really earned it: she's graduating Phi Beta Kappa!  
 Five students at the College of William and Mary founded Phi Beta Kappa in 1776, during the American Revolution. For over two and a quarter centuries, the Society has embraced the principles of freedom of inquiry and liberty of thought and expression. Laptops have replaced quill pens, but these ideas, symbolized on Phi Beta Kappa's distinctive gold key, still lay the foundations of personal freedom, scientific inquiry, liberty of conscience, and creative endeavor.
Phi Beta Kappa celebrates and advocates excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. Its campus chapters invite for induction the most outstanding arts and sciences students at America’s leading colleges and universities. The Society sponsors activities to advance these studies — the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences — in higher education and in society at large.
 Brag section: Lisa's lowest grade during her entire college career has been an A-, she's editor of the campus literary magazine, tutors at the Writing Center, is a Teaching Assistant for two professors, and is heavily involved in quite a number of other worthwhile activities.  She doesn't like me to brag, but she's worked very hard throughout all of her school years, and she deserves the recognition.  (Besides, I doubt she bothers to read my blog.)

I heard back from the doctor's office today; the results of yesterday's bone density show additional loss since my last test so he wants to see me again.  (That's scheduled for Tuesday.)  Obviously the meds I've been on the past couple of years have not been doing the job.  Not sure what the options are, but I guess I'll find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment