Wednesday, April 16, 2014

These are the flowers I sent Mom yesterday; today is the 5th anniversary of Dad's death.  It's hard to believe he's been gone that long, but of course a part of him is always with me.  I've lost count of how many times something I've seen/heard/read reminded me of him, and I wished I could share it with him. 


So indulge me while I share some pix.  

1950 - I love my Daddy, and he loves me!

Lisa loved it when Grandpa read to her.  (And Tom said he wouldn't wear that t-shirt I bought him of Abe sitting in his chair at the memorial, wearing sunglasses, flip flops, and a Hawaiian shirt!)  It's too bad you can't see the whole shirt in this shot.  I really wanted to put that shirt in Mom's memory quilt, but sadly the shirt had been 'retired' a a few years earlier.

Alex with his Grandpa in the backyard of the Kingman house.  
We've sure gotten a lot of use out of Alex's Lil Red Wagon over the years. 

Of course Alex also loved it when Grandpa read to him.
I'm thinking this was a counting book?

This Chanukah gift from Pokey (or something someone said?)
made everyone laugh.

Bana and Grandpa came to watch us 'fly' in Eloy, but for some reason <g> weren't inclined to join in. Maybe because he was in 'the prime of his strife'?

Bana and Grandpa enjoying sensible winter weather
on the cottage porch out back.

Celebrating 89

and then an early 90th here in Arizona.

I helped Dad 'grow' hair for the occasion.

And the Big 9-0 celebration in Maryland just a couple of weeks later.



I am SO GLAD Marcela 'made me' fly out for that special occasion. 
And Dad, of course, was so glad (and surprised!) to see me.

Of course I have lots and lots and lots of special pictures in my head and heart, and count myself incredibly blessed to have had a father who gave me unconditional love (in addition to so many things, including a lifelong love of books.)

On a happier note, today is also Patti Hong's birthday.  So now I have a happier occasion to add to this day, and if I lived closer to Seattle I might bake her a cake...

and if you fell for that one, you really don't know me!  <g>

This morning when I went into the kitchen to make my 'coffee' I noticed a pair of wild ducks in the pool.  So of course I thought about taking a picture... but because I didn't remember to turn off the flash, this is what I got through the window.  With weather so weird this year I could try to convince you that it's hail... <G>

Figured I'd sneak out the other door and snap a better pic, but by then they were out of the pool and in the shade under the orange tree.  I grabbed my mug and headed out to the hot tub, but they were already gone.  Which is really a good thing; we don't want them nesting here and making a mess of the pool and deck!

I had a nice chat with Mom this morning (she loved the flowers) and at least she didn't get snow yesterday, only rain.  This past winter we only got about half our usual rain (and of course even the full amount isn't very much.) So sadly the fire season has started early since everything is even drier than usual and our humidity levels are in their usual single digits. Already there are campfire bans in place.  

On the news last night we heard that they were possibly going to have to evacuate folks in the canyons outside Sierra Vista because of a fire.  Tom's brother Jerry lives in Ramsey Canyon, one of the areas mentioned (he lives at the end of the road up top, just outside the world-famous hummingbird sanctuary) so we'll be keeping a close eye on news of that fire.  



This afternoon I have my CT Scan, and then will probably pop over to see Betty and Tracy.  Never did grill the salmon I picked up yesterday so will do that tonight.  I figured Tom wouldn't feel like cooking dinner after spending the day building the camper bed over at Kaye's, but he ended up taking Kaye (& Teresa) out for a late (big) lunch afterward as a thank-you for all of Kaye's help, so of course he wasn't at all hungry for dinner (which meant there was no point in cooking.)  Worked for me!

The bed turned out well (though with the nice cushy mattress on the platform there isn't the headroom Tom expected.)  I can only hope the curtains I 'get' to make turn out half as nice!  It will be my first experience sewing with Velcro, so I expect a few snags <g> along the way.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment