Thursday, April 17, 2014

I screwed up!  

Last night I started on one of my new meds, which 'may' make me sleepy.  In fact the doctor suggested I take just half a tablet the first night.  Which I did.  So I was sleeping very hard when my alarm went off at 7:00 to go do the irrigation gates on 35th Ave.  With no time for coffee, I just zoomed up there and switched the gates.  I did wonder why the water pressure was so much lower than usual.

Once home, I put the lawnmower away (never did quite finish up the jungle section of the backyard), picked up the latest crop of downed lemons and oranges, and then came inside to (finally) have my coffee and read my e-mail.  That's where I found an invite from Linda to come over this afternoon to meet her great-grandson Zahn.  (Yes, I'll need to make another bib.)  

Which was when I checked the calendar 

and discovered that irrigation isn't until tomorrow morning!  So of course I raced back up to 35th Ave. and reset the gates.  That means that the first folks on that leg will miss at least 20 minutes of their water.

That's not a huge issue if they get 2 hours of water, like us - but would be a problem if they're only scheduled for 30 minutes, like some people.

Hope I'm forgiven!

at least (!) this is the first time (in over 15 years) that I've made a mistake like that on irrigation.  

And speaking of mistakes -  when I was at the doctor on Monday, I happened to say, "After 60 it's patch, patch, patch" when the assistant was going over my medical history.  She stopped short - seems my records said that my birthday was 1975.  (I look pretty bad for someone not even 40!)  

So she said she'd change it.  But when I went to have my x-ray done in another part of the office, that woman also had the wrong date.  And when I was checking out with Glenda, she had the 1975 date.  So I guess it shouldn't have been a big surprise when I went to pick up my meds yesterday that because of my 'new' birthdate on the order the computer didn't 'recognize' me (and the fact that yes, in fact I have met my Rx deductible) and charged me the full amount.  That meant I had to wait 20 minutes while they resubmitted the order (but since I had a good book with me it wasn't really an issue ) which brought the cost down to less than $20.

Speaking of good books, I'm almost finished with The Invention of Wings.

It's powerful, and well-written - and I do recommend it.  However, since it does deal with the very difficult subject of slavery, it is not surprising that it is also quite disturbing.  I was surprised to learn that it's based on the lives of real women.  If it's not already on your To Read list, I suggest you add it.  Just don't expect it to be a beach read!

No comments:

Post a Comment