Thursday, April 5, 2018

Yesterday's quilting bee at Busy Bees, with Daisy Mountain Quilters, was a lot of fun.  Betsy had made these adorable, and wonderfully reusable, name tags for our DMQ guests. 


Besty demo-ed an ingenious (and easy!) method
for drawing a clamshell pattern. 



Despite it being about ten years since I last did any real hand-quilting, I was able to produce reasonably small, even stitches.  Even taught some of the "stab method" ladies, like Jan and Vicki, how to rock a line. Some ladies practiced on individual blocks at their tables, while others took turns volunteering to work on the quilt in the frame. 


As usual it was a delightful potluck, even with some ants <g> in attendance.



Despite ending up at the end of line there was still a deviled egg left for me. Of course with it being Passover this week there were a lot of things I couldn't eat (especially some wonderful-looking desserts) but don't worry....I did not leave hungry. 


Did bring home lots of leftover watermelon, cantaloupe, and strawberries for Tom (and Pokey) that Carol did not want to take back home with her.



Popped over the library to drop off and pick up, and brought my laptop with me.  Dave (who runs the weekly computer class) was there, and he helped me with the e-books that the library said were checked out to me, yet weren't showing up on my Overdrive bookshelf.  After a convoluted trip on the library site (he agreed it's not a user-friendly system) we eventually got one of the books to appear.  



However, Dave finally had to corral the "computer expert" for help with the second book - and it took that guy quite a long time to find it for me.  So at least it's not just me!  After we downloaded it the first time, NO amount of searching my computer could help the expert (!) figure out where it ended up.  That happens all to the time to me....




Netflix delivered a movie yesterday, though not The Shape of Water, which still remains sitting at #1.  I had meant to delete The Big Sick from my queue (after I checked out a copy from the library and watched it) but that slipped my mind.  So guess what arrived yesterday? 


That meant a quick drive over to the post office to pop it in the mailbox before the 3:15 pick-up.  With a little luck I could have a replacement by the weekend.


My "tailor" delivered the first altered tank top yesterday (which of course looks/fits SO much better now!) and I passed along the second one unhemmed one.  Since her machine is currently set up for mending rather than quilting, I've been 'encouraged' <g> to get the rest of them to her sooner rather than later.



I enjoyed book club last night, though was definitely tired and didn't contribute much.  Cheri's 13-year-old grandson Jack is visiting from Seattle (they may swing by later today and visit with Pokey) and he had baked yeast rolls from scratch.  The rolls came out of the oven shortly before we ate, and smelled scrumptious - though of course this being Passover I couldn't sample any.  Still, I didn't go home hungry. 


When I mentioned that Jim Fergus has a new book out, a sequel to One Thousand White Women (which I had recommended as our selection one month, and the ladies LOVED) we ended up choosing to read his new book for June's meeting.



Marcela just called, and we spent an hour catching up.   She's doing well with her new normal life (though yesterday had a bit of a rough day) and is steadily moving forward.  In fact she's found a job, and starts that in a couple of weeks.  The hours for her new job means she will be getting up EARLY (but ending work at 2:30 and beating the LA-area traffic will be worth it) so to prepare for that she's been setting her alarm and get her body used to a new schedule.  When she texted me in the early hours this morning (and I texted right back) she knew she could call for a chat.



It's still fairly early, so who knows what I can get done before it's time for today's trip to Mulqueen's to "help" Marcie try out a new sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment