Friday, April 15, 2016

As promised, here are (just a few of ) the quilts Jessica displayed for the program on Wednesday. Since a lot of her quilts have gone on to other homes, many of the quilts she brought were actually made in the last 6 weeks, just as examples for us!

I save all the little triangles leftover from when I piece strips together, so I was especially interested in quilts that made use of them!





Paper-pieced stars are another good way to use up scraps.



One of Jessica's favorite things to do is to stitch together fabric, sort of like a crazy quilt, and then cut the 'new' fabric into blocks -


or applique shapes.



Sometimes she uses her "new" scrap fabric for added interest in a background.



Here's a simple applique quilt -


But look how much more interesting the same quilt becomes 
with a scrappy background!




This light-to-dark gradation flow creates a really eye-catching quilt!



In the afternoon I played around with fabric, incorporating these effects.




This traditional sampler quilt was made from scraps - and I loved it.



Whack those blocks!



I've used this half-square triangle pattern before, 
and 'may' have to do it up again with "new" scrap fabric.



These color play strips remind me of some of UFO blocks 
that I have tucked away.



Here comes the sun!




Since we all have lots of scraps (apparently I'm not the only one <g> who finds it impossible to throw leftover pieces away) Jessica's demo spoke to all of us, and there was a lot of excitement about getting started on OUR next project(s)!



Yesterday afternoon I swung by Sheri's to choose some fabric to bind Andy's quilt.  I went in looking for one color, though actually came home with another.  But I don't think I got enough.  Normally I could just start, and if I needed I'd make a last-minute dash over there.  But this fabric is dye-heavy (which means I have to treat it first so it doesn't bleed all over the quilt later) so I might as well get a little more fabric now and then treat it all together.  


At least TOQS is nearby, and thus not much of a schlep.  And since I just bought the fabric yesterday she's not likely to have run out of it by today.



And now there's time to do a little sewing before I head off to the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment