Monday, August 10, 2015

I slept in until 6:30 this morning!  Guess I wore myself out yesterday trying to cross things off of my list.  At least I did remember most of the things (close to 20 items) to put on my to-do list as the day progressed.  Several of them were handled with a trip to Target, the pool store, and another visit to Patti's (to pick up the rest of my plants that had been overlooked on Saturday) but today I hope to knock out a whole bunch more.


First thing today is a trip to the DMV to renew my driver license, which expires on my upcoming birthday.  At least I noticed that before it happened, so (hopefully) it will be an easy task.  I sure haven't even glanced at the book, and the first time I took the AZ test I failed - because there were 3 (!) questions about drinking and driving (BAC levels, fines, etc.) which I hadn't bothered to read since I don't drink and they wouldn't apply to me.


Today is the first day of classes for DVUSD students.  The school year seems to start earlier and earlier each year, and it doesn't help that it's still (definitely!) SUMMER and temps will hover around 106 and 107 all week.  


Still, there's something exciting about a new school year, 
with all the potential!


Yesterday Patti passed along a message from Vicki (who has moved from ELL to 1st grade this year) wondering if I would sub for her on the four days this semester when she will be out (meetings? workshops?)  I prefer the older grades, and usually choose not to sub for the little ones (they're so needy), so Vicki would probably be better off getting another sub.  But it reminded me that I haven't gone over to the District Office to arrange for my 2015-16 ID.  Something else to add to the list!



After dinner last night I helped Tom push the quad up the ramp onto the trailer (it's not running so it's going in for repairs today) and then we got into the pool to 'cool off'.  I don't know what the water temp is (yesterday I bought a rubber ducky thermometer when I was at the pool store getting replacement parts to try to make Creepy happier, though it hasn't yet made it into the pool) but Tom did comment that it felt like the Party Pool temp at the hot springs... which is in the mid/upper 90s.  At any rate (whatever the actual number) it's not a refreshing temperature this time of year.


And speaking of bathwater, she doesn't look like she's enjoying her dip either... though I think it would be fun to swim with penguins!  



Last night Tom saw that same teenage coyote appear from behind the oleander (and like me, he also thought it was limping.  This morning as I was at the computer typing up this entry I again saw Ms. Peahen, up on the porch.  My camera was right here, so I grabbed it to take a picture.  But she must have seen me reaching for it, because she turned away and started to leave.


The actual picture really startled her, 
because as soon as I took that first one she took off for the roof.


We are surprised that the peahen is coming around with the coyote living here - but either her birdbrain hasn't figured out that he's a predator, or she isn't intimidated by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment