Thursday, May 29, 2014

My analog watch has a date function, but since many months don't have 31 days it's very easy for the date to get off track.  

Not that it really matters, because I really don't look at the date on my watch (the numbers are tiny plus there's a scratch on the watch face right over that spot that makes the number even harder to read.)  But on the ride home from Tucson on Tuesday I noticed the date was way off (by a couple of weeks!) and since I had nothing else to do I decided to fix it.  I ended up winding the stem for well over an hour, and figured I might end up with a blister on my index finger.  And yesterday I was sporting a fair-sized blister as a reminder of all my 'hard' work.


Carol has been mucking out her sewing room, and yesterday she brought in a large stack of completed tops to donate to Busy Bees charity.  After Monica and Mel had finished showing them to the group, I asked what the protocol would be if we wanted to buy one.  (I don't have a Carol Quilt.)  So for a $25 donation to Busy Bees I came home with one.  (Can you guess which one?)  That started an avalanche of  sales, and when all was said and done there were only a couple left going to charity - but our treasury (used to buy more fabric/batting/backing) is healthier.  











For Show&Tell I had brought in my UGLY quilt (the ladies had heard about it and been wanting to see it) and they all liked it.  Obviously there's no accounting for taste!  And then Carol said she wanted it, so now it's going to hang in her sewing room.  I will not miss that ugly thing!


By the time I dropped Carol off and stopped at the store for some melons I was dragging - have not been sleeping well - and so watched a little TV while I waited for Lisa to arrive from Tucson.  I was just about to drop off when she got here.  So no nap for me.  She was a tad stressed out from everything, and also had not been able to locate her car registration paperwork.  The original may eventually turn up at some point,  but I saved the day by calling DMV for her to start the process for a replacement.  Within a minute (!) I had a real person on the line and was directed to the correct website.  I merely entered the info (license plate, VIN, and her driver's license # - plus my credit card for the $4 fee) and then printed up a duplicate registration.  One less crisis in her life.  Even I was amazed at how fast/easy it was from start to finish.

Jeannie picked me up at 5:00 and we had dinner at Claim Jumper and then headed up to Cheri's (in Anthem) for book club.  Everyone (including me) had enjoyed the book, although I was not terribly impressed with the actual writing.


The Whip is inspired by the true story of a woman, Charlotte "Charley" Parkhurst (1812-1879) who lived most of her extraordinary life as a man in the old west.  As a young woman in Rhode Island, she fell in love with a runaway slave and had his child. The destruction of her family drove her west to California, dressed as a man, to track the killer.   Charley became a renowned stagecoach driver for Wells Fargo. She killed a famous outlaw, had a secret love affair, and lived with a housekeeper who, unaware of her true sex, fell in love with her.
Charley was the first woman to vote in America (as a man). 

Also enjoyed the food.  I had brought honeydew slices, which go with anything, right?.  But Myra, the group's 'resident' baker, had made s'more pastries from scratch, and they were indescribably delicious!

Nothing on for today other than hanging out with Lisa.


No comments:

Post a Comment