Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yesterday I 'squoze' the last of these oranges (because we got a whole new 'crop' after the most recent wind) and you may be interested to know that these made up almost 2 gallons of OJ.  

Fresh-off-the-tree OJ is certainly delicious - and drinking it beats dealing with snow on all sorts of levels!  THIS is why we put up with Arizona summers...

Last night we had spaghetti because I 'slaved' over a crockpot in the morning and whipped up a batch of my sauce.  It turned out great, and Tom was also thrilled not to have to cook one night. Even though he is definitely the MUCH better cook in the family (and the kids loved this book growing up) everyone agrees that in our family Mommy makes the best spaghetti!

Yesterday afternoon I had an appointment with my PCP, mostly to get a new Rx for Actonel/Fossamx/Boniva.  My latest DEXA  (in November) showed the progression from osteopenia to osteoporosis, and blocking every last drop of estrogen my body was still producing is only making matters worse.  He suggested Forteo (which I had recently read about), saying it does a much better job of increasing bone density - although I gather it's more expensive, so he wasn't sure if my insurance would okay it.  (If not, we'll go to Plan B - see first sentence of paragraph.)  So off I went to Walgreen's to drop off the Rx, and I should know soon whether I'll be sticking myself daily or not.
Forteo is a new medication used for the treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men who are at high risk for a fracture. A synthetic form of the naturally occurring parathyroid hormone, Forteo is the first drug shown to stimulate new bone formation and increase bone mineral density . It is self-administered as a daily injection for up to 24 months. Side effects include nausea, leg cramps, and dizziness.


Monday evening we watched the Westminister Dog Show (the first half) and planned to watch the second half when it aired last night.  Unfortunately it didn't start until 9:00 (because of the SOTU address?) and I was asleep and snoring on the couch by 8:00.  But we taped it, so in theory we can watch it tonight, especially if we get an early start!  Every time I watch dog shows I'm amazed at a couple of things - how many of these breeds I've never even heard of, and how some of these 'perfect examples' of their breed look like real mongrel mutts.  But I'm sure they are all bundles of love, and (except for a dog show) it doesn't matter what they look like!  

Although (of course!) I do have my favorites (Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Cocker Spaniels) that I root for.  And I much prefer watching the agility trials - the dogs all seem to be having such a ball!  Wish I'd known about that years ago.... Echo would have loved it!

Later this morning is the Foothills Quilting meeting, and since I've been up since 4:00 I assume this afternoon I'll have a serious appointment with the couch.  But I did get some more sashing fabric, so at some point (!) I can get back to work on the wedding quilt.
at The Other Quilt Store, where I also dropped off all of my tiny scraps for collection by the woman who uses them to stuff dog beds that she donates to the shelters.

No comments:

Post a Comment