Saturday, February 16, 2013

I haven't posted in a couple of days.  Everything is fine, I'm just dragging.  For example, when I woke up in the wee hours last night (after about 4 hours sleep) I took something so I'd be sure to go back to sleep.  Was I amazed when I looked at the time when I got up this morning.... 10:00!

Yesterday I ran a few errands.  When I mailed off a birthday t-shirt at the post office, the desk clerk was a real comedian.  After he knew it was a t-shirt, he still ran through his shtick of "anything liquid? toxic?" etc. while I kept repeating my mantra, "it's just a t-shirt" to him.  

Since I was right across the street from where I get my glasses, I finally stopped in to see what the turnaround time would be on new lenses (my pricey glasses came with one free replacement in the first two years, and that period will be up this summer.  Since they are a little scratched, figured I 'might as well'.)  I've been meaning to do that for a while, but have really gotten used to having actual reading glasses (the magnifying ones from the drugstore just don't do the trick because of my stigmatism) and hadn't wanted to be without my bifocals for any length of time.

You can imagine how thrilled I was to find out that because I have rimless glasses (the kind that look invisible once I set them down, and why I am always 'losing' them) they don't need the frames to order the lenses!  Of course once they come in it'll take a while for the tech to actually replace them.... but that's what a good book is for!

Last stop on my errand loop was the jeweler's.  I take my ring in periodically to make sure everything is nice and secure.  Last time everything was fine, but that's been a while.  Sure enough, the prongs now need some work.  While the jeweler said I may have a couple more months of use left, I do NOT want to risk the diamond coming loose, so I left the ring.  

Then I came home and vegged for the rest of the day.  I actually did think about sewing - or reading - but neither sounded as good as just watching mindless TV.

Marcella texted me from the fireworks last night - everyone in the bleachers loves the fireworks quilt I made her. It came out pretty big, so she should be able to wrap up in it with Steve.

Tom is in Tucson today at the Gem and Mineral Show (with Lisa and Chas, and John and Robin).  I didn't go along because the whole trip just sounded too tiring.  It's a beautiful day here today, and I might go out and do a little yard work and get some sun on my face.  Or maybe just take a walk about the block.

Alex did come by yesterday and finish picking up the big pile of leaves he raked in the back yard last week, filling up both green cans.  (That's easy to do.)  We have irrigation on Thursday, so getting those leaves out of the way was my priority.  Of course there are still plenty of leaves left outside the fence, so we'll have no trouble filling both cans for a long time.

I promised pix from Wednesday's quilt meeting.  Here are some of Elaine's.  These two had a great story!  Elaine made the center of one, and her mom made the center of the other.  Then they traded and worked on each other's quilt, then traded again.  The final Round Robin results were beautiful!

Burgundy & Green is a favorite color combo of hers.  While I prefer brighter colors, I liked this pattern and her use of fabrics.

This one was paper pieced (for precision) and one of Elaine's few brightly-colored ones.  Stunning!  The fabric she used was multi-colored, which you can see in the border.

I liked the effect of this one (the farther back you stood, the more fractured it appeared.)

Of course Elaine's trunk show was a hard act to follow, but we did see some wonderful stuff.  Yolanda whipped up this great quilt using a panel.  It's not quilted yet, but I think she said it'll be finished and mailed off before the next meeting.  

And (coincidentally) Linda had issued this year's Panel Challenge earlier at the meeting.  I have a number of panels to choose from - the hardest part could be choosing which one to use (and then getting the quilt made by the September deadline will run a close second!)

We all loved this sewing bucket - and that 'blob' on the left is a removable pin cushion that 'self snaps' around the wrist.


Jan made this t-shirt memory quilt for a friend who recently lost her husband, and it's sure to be a great comfort to her; I know Mom really appreciates the one I made for her after Dad died.

Linda has been busy.  Here's her cheery quilt made from scrappy 9-patches, with recurring patterned fabric to tie it all together.  Again it's not quilted, though I think she said it will be, and sent off, before the next meeting.

It was Linda's dozen or so adorable owls that elicited the most smiles.  Here are just a few of them.  We all look forward to seeing the finished quilt!




Sharon's Southwest themed quilt was impressive (her work always is!)  Glad she 'finally' got around to making this quilt.
These cute mug rugs didn't take her nearly as long!

Beautiful quilt by Linda P, even though I would use brighter colors! <G>

I think this was Louise Meyer's Stone Soup, which she finally got around to from last year's challenge - it sure turned out adorable.  (I hate it when the ladies don't want to be in the picture, because my memory sure "ain't what it used to be"!)

This patriotic UFO of Louise Grant's turned out great - she used a different red fabric to border each block.

Okay, enough time at the computer.  Need to get something done today!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment