Sunday, February 3, 2013

I had a great time at the annual Chapter Chair meeting in Chandler yesterday.  The morning's business meeting was chock full of interesting information.  Vision Gallery's program to teach quilting to kids (ages 6-14) sounds like something I'd love to get involved in; too bad they're all the way over in Chandler.  

AQG is working on putting together a Summer Retreat (for up to 4 days) in July or August, when hotels/resorts practically pay people to come stay there (because who in their right mind wants to come to Phoenix in the summer?!)

I found out that Bonnie Hunter (of Quiltville fame) will be coming to Phoenix in January of 2015 (she's signed up years and years in advance) and I'm hoping to get to attend one of her programs then.  

There are some new and exciting things happening at the AQG show in March.  There will be a scavenger hunt in Mesa during the 2 weeks leading up to the show - and first prize is a $3,100 sewing machine, which should be great incentive to get a group of ladies together and schlep to Mesa.  And during the show itself there will be a Sew-a-Thon going on (Sit a Bit and Make A Difference!) with a couple of dozen machines and ready-to-sew kits (pre-cut/assembled by Night Owls) to make a variety of projects for donation to the Children's Crisis Center, Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, and the Reading Mentor Program.

I also found out that I was not the only one who had difficulty registering for the quilt show online - there were quite a few complaints to the AQG office.  It turns out that 2/3 of the entries didn't get sent in until January (the deadline was the 18th), proving (once again) that Procrastination is an Art Form.  
At least I had a little wiggle room to use snail mail - but those who waited until the absolute last minute (and apparently there were a boatload) and then had the same issues that I did had serious problems. 

After lunch Anelie Belden (who will be holding classes at three different locations around the Valley the next several days) did her presentation on Thoroughly Modern Dresden, and her quilts were stunning 'updates' on an old pattern.  Who knew?!  She was a very entertaining speaker (be careful when looking for lip balm in your purse, ladies) and had brought dozens of spectacular quilts with her - MUCH better than a slide show!  At the very end she opened up her (stunning!) Dresden jacket to show what she did with her first attempts at Dresden blocks, which did not lie flat. What a hoot -  wish I'd had my camera!  (I did whip out my cellphone to take a picture, but in true techno-peasant style I must have neglected to save because I'm sad to say that picture is not on my phone.)  Afterward I bought her book although I really have no plans to make one of her quilts.  As usual the pix in the book, although lovely, can't begin to do justice to her quilts.  

This quilt was stunning 'in person', and has won Anelie many awards.

Her settings are quilt innovative, and not at all like the usual 1930s Dresden Plate with which we are all so familiar.
She uses lots of bright colors, batiks, and jewel tones in her quilts (no 30s fabric for her!) and each quilt was prettier than the last.

I also got to meet some of AQG's traveling teachers, and would love to have Barb Janson come to Busy Bees and/or Foothills and do her class on Arizona landscape quilts.  Here are a couple of her samples I shot with my phone.


Then last night we were invited to dinner at Benny & Estera's (along with neighbors Joy and Dick.)  Benny was enthralled with Tom's smoked brisket each time he had it, and asked Tom show him how to do it.  Judging from last night's meal, I'd say Benny was an A+ pupil!  Benny's mom is in visiting (from Romania) and here's a picture of the proud grandmother with little Julianna (who was fine until I whipped out the camera.... guess she's camera shy?)

I brought over the tub toys for Willie - his eyes certainly lit up when he saw them.  Hope he enjoyed his bath last night and got to play with the boat and squirters.

No comments:

Post a Comment