Friday, February 27, 2015

The dog show was a lot of fun yesterday, though it wasn't the easiest place to find.  Although the address is on Pima, "you can't get there from here."  



So I had to turn around, go back to the 101, and continue on to Bell.  Once on Bell I figured it would be a left turn (back towards Pima) so I was in the wrong lane, and had to make a U-turn.  Since I had the green arrow, it seemed like it was my turn to go.  But I saw a vehicle barreling toward the intersection, and he sure didn't look like he was going to stop.  And he didn't, flying through the intersection at a very high rate of speed.  If I'd taken my turn I would certainly not be blogging today... and maybe never!  


A poem Dad used to recite comes to mind...

Here lies John Jay. who died protesting his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along...
But he couldn't have been deader if he'd been dead wrong.


Once at the dog show, my day improved.  It is a huge show, and there were at least 15 different venues although all of Frannie's events (4 yesterday) were at Ring 9. The Dalmation Club, like most of the others, were holding raffles.  This painting already had a bid of $200 on it.


Frannie showed well, although she was consistently beaten by two Texas pups (siblings from a litter) that had already beaten her back in Texas.  Still, now she has another show under her belt and has gotten more experience and exposure.  Frannie's a sweet, friendly dog, and made lots of friends yesterday.


At one point I did wander around the polo grounds, looking for Australian Shepherds - but they didn't seem to be entered in this particular show, and the same held true for cocker spaniels.  But I did get to meet and greet a number of adorable puppies.  Yes, as a matter of fact I do realize that puppies only come in cute! 


The poodles were in the ring next to us, and when I commented to Marilyn, "Who designed that ridiculous haircut for them?" I learned the reason behind it. 

  
Poodles were originally used as retrievers and if they went into the water with all their fur it would drag them down.  Thus they needed to be clipped.  But hair was left around certain joints and other areas (like the heart/lungs) to keep them warm.  Who knew?



In a bit we're off to the show again, although it will be a much shorter day.  From here on out (the show ends on Monday) she only has one event each day.  And there should be agility events each day (there weren't any yesterday.)  



No comments:

Post a Comment