Friday, November 14, 2014

THURSDAY I worried about hearing my alarm at 3:00 - but it turned out to be a non-issue since I woke up 2:15 and figured I might was well stay up.  The shuttle was actually early - I got a text saying he'd be there at 3:43 - but I was ready to go so it was no problem.  I'd ended up packing all my bulky winter clothes in one mega suitcase instead of two regular ones (no idea where they disappeared to) and when I went to check in I weighed in at 54 pounds.  Good thing I had packed an empty duffel on top (for a weekend trip to The Institute) and was able to repack at curbside; otherwise it would've cost me $75 for an overweight bag.  By the time I got through security, down to the gate, and picked up my pre-board "permission slip", it was a respectable 5:20 and I didn't have to wait too long to board.  

The plane was full (has anyone flown in the past decade on a flight that wasn't?) but we left on time and didn't encounter any turbulence until midway through the flight.  After I had my breakfast and did some crossword puzzles I felt my 'energy' flagging and vegged out in front of my iPad screen playing solitaire and a few other games.

Seated at the back of the plane I was virtually the last one off the plane, and moving slowly, it was no surprise to me that I was the last passenger to arrive at the luggage carousel (which had not yet started dispensing bags.) What was surprising was the fact that there were only about a dozen passengers loitering in wait.  Seems my row-mates weren't the only ones making connections in Baltimore.  

The second bag to appear out of the chute was my duffel, and next was a huge burgundy suitcase.  I grabbed them and headed to the curb where Sandy was waiting.  We were seconds away from heaving the suitcase into the trunk and driving away when a woman came up and said it was hers.  And she was right.  I apologized and then marched back into the terminal, where (sure enough) my actual suitcase was waiting patiently.  I knew I should have attached some colorful ribbons to help me distinguish it!

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing with Mom for a while before I unpacked, which was when I found the notice that my suitcase had been subjected to one of the random TSA searches.  Found a second note actually inside my toiletries bag.  I also made up the bed in the pullout couch in the den (knowing I'd 'likely' be tired later) before we headed down to dinner.  Which was delicious, as always here.  There was a birthday celebration (at the table next to us) for John... who had turned 103!  We all agreed that he looked decades younger.

Mom stayed downstairs for her Thursday night Rummikub game and I headed upstairs to get comfy and read for a bit.  In the elevator a couple mentioned there was a bluegrass concert scheduled for tonight at 7:30.  Sure sounded good, but by 7:00 I was fading badly and knew there was no way I was up for attending.  Instead I decided to take a hot shower and get into my Jammie's.  Which was when I discovered/realized I had no clean underwear to put on.  Did the inspectors steal all of my (plain cotton) panties? I distinctly remember putting a bunch in the pile of clothes to be packed Wednesday.  At least I'm pretty sure I remember!

Intrigued by the blurb on the back, I started reading LITTLE BEE (by Chris Cleave)  "We don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this: This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice you hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - the story starts there... Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds."

Usual "I'm away from the home computer and apologize for the lack of entertaining pictures" disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment