Monday, September 1, 2014

It was a great SEW DAY yesterday at Jeannie's.  Everyone loved my birthday quilt for Terry (she turns 60 in November) and agreed that the border fabric I'd found was absolutely perfect.


I got to work cutting the yard into 6" strips, then pinned them at right angles and marked the sew line.  However it's been so long since I'd actually sewed <G> that on my first seam I spaced out what I was doing, and sewed a seam 1/4" off the line.
  

Which was when I realized I'd forgotten to bring on my most important tool  with me - and had to borrow a seam ripper from Jeannie.  Not the most auspicious way to start out my Sew Day... after that I paid more attention to what I was doing.

  
Of course by piecing strips on an angle you lose some fabric (especially when the strips are 6 inches wide), so by the time I got the four borders on all that was left of my original yard was a piece 6" x 12".  Not much of a leftover scrap there!  Once I pieced the backing together the quilt was ready to hand over to Jeannie for quilting. 


Of course everyone had an opinion on what color thread to use (we settled on a variegated blue/purple) but we never did get around to choosing an edge-to-edge quilt pattern. (We did that this morning when I popped over to snap a pic of Terry's quilt because I also forgot my camera yesterday.)


Penny was working on a spider web pattern in bright Halloween fabrics (Barb was doing one in 30s reds with a white center) and it's a wonderful pattern.  At one point I popped home and collected my Halloween stash to donate strips to the cause.  Plus now I know what I'm going to do with my stash of string scraps (after I finish my UFO string quilt.)   Here's one of Penny's blocks cheery blocks.

  
And here's what a spider web quilt looks like when you put all the blocks together.


My book challenge quilt was on Ruby, and got lots of admiration from the ladies (including her niece Kim and friend Stacy, who are not quilters but came by to do a demo on their Lia Sophia jewelry line), but there was too much going on for Jeannie to actually concentrate and get anything done on it.  She's working on it today, so I should have it soon. 



Lunch was scrumptious.  Patricia had made up a cream of potato soup, with turkey sausage and kale, that was so good I want the recipe.  The salad had lots of yummies to add to it (my contributions were mushrooms and celery) and then there were the sides to nibble, like Wanda's deviled eggs, my raspberries, etc.  Plus several of the ladies had baked pies or crisps for dessert.  NO one went hungry!  (And everything was so good we did reruns for dinner.)


Wanda was working on a table runner for a client (she found perfect fabrics to match their chair upholstery), Patricia was working a sunburst piece in wild retro fabrics, Jeannie got a little work done on her jumping pattern blocks, and Vicki (who didn't arrive until late afternoon) worked diligently fussy cutting some pretty blue and purple fabrics.

Today I'm hoping to have lunch with Patti since haven't seen her since she started back to work a month ago (while I was on vacation) and would also like finish up the paperwork (aka bills) on my desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment