Wednesday, September 24, 2014

TUESDAY: 
We tried to watch the sun set on the beach Monday night, but it was too cold - for Tom!  Back at the room we logged onto the San Francisco public transportation site and he tried to figure out the best way to get to the Haight today.  Later in the evening he walked down to a coffee shop (I stayed put, still full from 'lunch') and got some additional info from a cab driver.  Still, we got an early start this morning 'just in case' it was as complicated as it seemed.  We took the N light rail to Cole/Carl but were so ahead of schedule that instead of transferring to the 43 bus we walked to Lisa's.  We were still WAY early, so we stopped into Coffee To The People to pass some time.  They had comfy couches, an extensive library, and chocolate croissants - so waiting was no problem.

After a brief tour of Lisa's house the three of us walked to Golden Gate Park where we toured the California Academy of Sciences, a natural history museum.  I enjoyed their wonderful exhibits in the multiple layers of the rain forest (especially the colorful butterflies and birds flying around) and the varied aquarium displays; the Living Roof was also interesting.  But no surprise I really loved watching the penguins!

After the museum we went to the tower at the art museum next door and for a panoramic view of the city.  It was reasonably clear so we were able to get a glimpse of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Afterward we said hello to the stoned lion out front.

The rest of the afternoon was spent cruising Haight street.  In the t-shirt store at the corner of Ashbury/Haight Tom finally found the replacement Grateful Dad shirt he's been looking for.  In another. store I got to sample the smoked chocolate Lisa had mentioned; it was good!  Also got to visit Mendel's Far Out Fabrics, mentioned in one of my quilting magazines, but they didn't have the arrowhead fabric Tom is looking for. When my back started kvetching we found a place to sit and discuss tomorrow's plans while Tom enjoyed a beer.  The current plan is to do Chinatown, take a harbor cruise, and then have dinner at Fisherman's Wharf.

Back at our motel (on the way I watched out the window of the light rail but never saw the sign I spotted this morning: Unattended children will be sold to the circus) it feels great to stretch out - just wish I'd remembered to bring my heating pad.  But since I don't use it over the summer at home it just wasn't in my consciousness.

Not able to connect to the internet (the motel is having difficulties with Comcast) so not sure when I'll be able to post today's entry.

WEDNESDAY:
We felt like pros this morning taking the light rail and then using our transfers to hop on the bus, getting to the coffee shop just ten minutes ahead of our rendezvous time with Lisa.  So I had a chocolate croissant.  We took the bus to Chinatown (Tom and I were able to use our transfers, which was nice.) and strolled along the shops best described as "if China and Quartzsite had a baby".  So I was really, really surprised to find a kosher shop there!  After a delicious lunch we walked to the City of Light Bookstore (which I'd read about) and had fun browsing; I read a great alphabet book A is for Activist.  

We took an Uber car (great concept) to Fisherman's Wharf and then enjoyed a harbor tour that cruised under both the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge, and also past Alcatraz.  Great views, the weather was perfect, and I heard lots of interesting facts and trivia about the city.  We saw pelicans diving, and even dolphins a couple of times.  Back on shore we strolled the shops and had dinner... seafood, of course!

The predicted rain held off, although we did get misted on walking back to the light rail. Although it was a long day (we didn't get back to the motel until 8:00) my back is in pretty good shape because I got to sit a fair amount.  


No comments:

Post a Comment