Thursday, June 30, 2022

Tuesday I drove Wanda over to Jessica's to drop off three quilt tops (and deliver the hefty tub-load of scraps I had for her) and on Wednesday all three were done in time to give to Anita to bring back to this side of town!  (As much as Jessica gets accomplished, I'm reasonably sure that she never sleeps!) 

Carol came along for the ride so she could see Jessica's incredible studio, and like all of us she was impressed (and more than a little jealous, given her very down-sized itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny sewing area in her new home.) 


As long as I was there (and while Wanda and Jessica were conferring on various quilt patterns and thread colors for the three quilts) I rummaged in Jessica's blue scrap tub, and brought back a dozen blue strips to incorporate additional diversity into my jellyroll sizzle.  Because the scrappier the better, right?


Afterward we went out to lunch, another 'new' restaurant for me.  


My Raspberry & Feta salad ("mixed greens, French feta, candied walnuts, raspberries, and raspberry vinaigrette") was delicious, and Wanda kept raving about her lunch choice, which included the slice-of-the-week special that was topped with too many goodies for me to remember.



A week earlier, after a series of unfortunate circumstances had led her to being cat-less for the past 18 months, Carol has finally able to get a cat.  Both cats she'd had for many, many years had died, and she had actually been 'shopping' for a cat the day that she fell, ending up down-for-the-count for many months. (In truth she's still dealing with some of those issues.)   Then she had been packing and moving, but even once in her new place renovations dragged on (and on, and on.) 



Mimi is a black 9yo who had been adopted by one of Carol's friends after the original owner died.  Unfortunately the cat gang already in that household did not accept Mimi as one of their own, so she had ended up relegated to living in a home office (with limited human contact) for the past four years.   Mimi was understandably shy in her new environment at first, spending the lion's share of her time under the couch.  



Happily after a few days she began to feel more comfy, even sleeping on Carol's bed (but unhappily keeping her awake at times.)  Maybe in another week or two Mimi will feel brave enough to entertain visitors; I'm looking forward to meeting her.




Irrigation Tuesday night did NOT go well because for almost the first hour there was hardly any pressure.  Neither Jeff nor Terry everfigured out what the problem was - but mysteriously the flow did become happier during the second hour.  But as is always the case whenever an issue, the western side of the front yard didn't get water, which means I'll be watering that VIST (very important shade tree) with (very expensive) city water.



Yesterday morning I snuck in some weeding before Busy Bees, though of course not where I wanted to (the main front, where I hadn't let Tom mow yet...) because it hadn't gotten water.



Monica brought my label for Mia's quilt, and I've already sewed it onto the quilt!



Donna made it to Busy Bees briefly, so I was able to pass along the yardage of teddy bear fabric for her to use as backing on some of her kid quilts.  I'd brought in the charity quilt I'd made as "admission" to the ice cream social (enjoyed having a banana split for lunch) and picked up some yardage Louise had brought in that will work well for its backing.  Betsy has agreed to quilt it.


I didn't have my iPhone with me (I'd put in on the charger in the morning, " sure" I'd remember to put it in my purse before I left...) so I couldn't take any pix of the cute quilts the other ladies were working on.



I didn't finish the binding at Busy Bees (seemed like there were way more than four corners on this quilt....) but did finish last night while watching some Jeopardy episodes after dinner.  Soon it'll be ready to head off to Maryland, once I take some photos and get it wrapped up.



Did more weeding in the jungle in the afternoon, and was very happy to get into the pool to cool off.  It felt really muggy yesterday, so being in the shade didn't help at all. 



Going to do a little yardwork this morning and then get ready for the gym.  Missed last Thursday (when Antoine was sick) and will miss next Thursday (when I'm heading to Neil's Celebration of Life in Colorado) so hope that I get in a session today.

No comments:

Post a Comment