Monday, June 13, 2022

 Waking up at 4:30 isn't ideal -

but at least it's (reasonably) cool outside then.  

Out front, filling the water dish for the critters and watering porch plants, I almost stepped on a baby bird (the dichondra 'clover' is getting tall.) I assumed it fell out of a nest from the very tall tree - although nobody was squawking for it.  Then I almost stepped on its sibling.  Both were very much alive, though the second one seems to have sustained a neck injury.  Not sure what to do with them, so for the time being I laid them beside the tree where they will get some afternoon shade. 



In other bird news, as always I went out to feed/water Alex's quail first this morning.  Yesterday I had replaced the food in her dish with the turkey mash she liked, and when I went out this morning she'd eaten most of it (and left her daily egg in the dish as a 'thank you'.)  But when I went to change her water, situated on the other side of the cage, I found her down on the ground in a 'funny' position - because she was dead.    


When I let Alex know, he wondered if it had just gotten too hot for her.  




By 6 am this morning it hadn't yet reached 100 degrees, 
so it seemed like a good time to plant the cactus.


We'll see how they do in that spot with with full sun...




Realize I didn't post a pic of Mia's quilt top in yesterday's long catch-up post.  



Despite appearances to the contrary, it is 'square'.  I'm excited to hand it over to Monica at Busy Bees on Wednesday for her to quilt.   

No comments:

Post a Comment