Thursday, August 1, 2013

Yesterday I never got around to posting; in the morning I was quite busy and then yesterday afternoon I experienced the usual "I'm so tired I'd better take a nap" syndrome.

Which reminds me... I FINISHED THE WEDDING QUILT on Tuesday!  

Yesterday morning I took it to Busy Bees for Show&Tell, 
where (of course!) everyone oohed and aahed over it.  
Of course the true test will be how much Zach and Bekkah like it.  :-)

Here's a picture of me showing it off yesterday:

Sorry about the tease.  

But as soon as I hear from Zach and Bekkah that it's arrived, 
you KNOW that I'll be proudly posting a picture (or two)!

Today I will make up a label (that didn't happen yesterday afternoon; see first sentence of this post) to sew on the back, and then (hopefully!) get it in the mail today.


Along with the wedding quilt, I had quite a list of other stuff to take with me to the quilt meeting yesterday: the Marty tubs (everyone was glad to have a chance to take a 'piece of her' home), the leftover books from the carton/bags that Rich dropped off, the pattern for Patty W., the charity quilt top, and brownies (which I baked at 7:00 yesterday morning) for Betty's 90th birthday celebration. You should have seen the spread on the table in front of her - the ladies outdid themselves for the luncheon!) 

Betty requested we sing "The Old Gray Mare She Ain't What She Used to Be" 
(instead of Happy Birthday) 
but we ended up singing both. 

And Joyce also serenaded her with a song I didn't recognize, but which brought tears to Betty's eyes.

I had to leave the meeting twice; Estera called to see if I could be 'on call' from Friday-Wednesday.  She and Benny are going to a wedding (in Israel!) and leaving the kids at the house with a babysitter.  I would be honored to be a backup... except those are the same dates I'll be in California visiting Marcela.  At least Tom will be here in case Livia needs an extra hand with Willie, or something around the house.  Then Alex called - he gotten a ride to the house and was wondering where I was, hoping for a ride to work.  (Tom got to take him.)  We still no idea what he's going to do about transportation since his car is quite dead.

But I made it back inside in time for the most important part of the meeting:

Wish I could share the wedding quilt but trust me - soon! In the meantime, here's the strip top I brought in:

There were quite a number of finished strip quilts (we sure made great use of all those fabric bundles donated by a quilt group forced out of business!) and this one had a little something extra appliqued on.

Blue hat boxes, by Joni

Farmer's Market, by Joni

And this adorable Princess and the Pea (also by Joni?)

The 'pea' is hard to see in the large picture, so here it is in a close-up

The bright colors in Jan's Baltimore Album quilt don't truly show up in the picture, but trust me...it's GORGEOUS!

At first glance we all assumed this wallhanging of Pennie's (the one who quilted the wedding quilt for me) was merely a panel that she turned into a window.

However, upon closer inspection we can see that each block is totally embroidered.  (In theory, I will be able to do 'something' like this once I get up and running on my new machine......riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!)

Pretty miniature quilt by Melissa 

Marjory had seen a flag quilt made out of houses 'somewhere', and decided to whip up one of her own.

Blue and yellow works well on this happy quilt by Joanne.

This stunning quilt by Sandy used batiks in fall shades for a great effect.

Before I crashed for the afternoon I made a quick trip to the library to drop off books, and (naturally) pick up 4 more.  So many books, so little time (especially when I seem to have to waste so much napping!)

This morning I'll go to the gym and work out.  I didn't make it Tuesday morning (as planned) and sure didn't make it Wednesday afternoon.  My Monday workout with Jim was for my legs, and I was pleasantly surprised that there weren't any after-effects on Tuesday.  However (you know whatever follows 'however' isn't usually good news!) those showed up full force by Wednesday afternoon.  Weird!

This afternoon Summer is coming over with the 6 kids.  Her kids start school tomorrow, so it's sort of a Goodbye to Summer Vacation for them.

Lisa's been at school working all week, and on Monday her students return.

Here's wishing EVERYONE a wonderful, productive 2013-2014 school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment