Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tuesday was naturally a pretty laid back day for me. I did get four loads of laundry done (not that I really had that much, but the washer in Mom's apartment is rather small) and read (while relaxing on the heating pad) when Mom went over to visit Ted in the rehab center here. We had also squeezed in a couple of games of Rumikub after breakfast, and neither one of us seemed to make any glaring errors.

Ted (Mom's 'gentleman caller' of the past 3 years) had not been feeling well before we left on our trip (on a Wednesday night) and landed himself in the hospital that Friday (because of small heart attack,a blood clot in one leg, cellulitis in the other leg, and serious dehydration.) Luckily he seems to be doing much better, but at 91 things like that can take some recovery time.

Last night we had dinner with Lucille and Dave (always enjoyable) and told them all about our trip. Mom just happened to mention that she had not been able to do her post-trip weigh-in that morning before she had breakfast (she weighed herself before we left, and was curious to see what the French cuisine had added) because I was still asleep in the den and the scale is in that bathroom. I did feel the need to explain; it's not like I pulled an 'Alex' and slept until noon or later... I was out of bed Tuesday by 6:00 am!

I did start to feel tired at dinner, and as soon as we got back to the apartment the first thing I did was to call home and check in with Tom, and then I got ready for bed. After watching the news (hadn't done that in two weeks) and then Jeopardy, I felt it was 'okay' to climb into bed at 8:00 and read. Surprisingly, I lasted until about 9:30, which is quite respectable (for me, anyway!)

Imagine my surprise when the computer roared to life (okay, it dinged loudly) at 3:00 am and the dark screen lit up, illuminating the entire room. I'm sure it was merely doing a scheduled weekly update, and 'whoever' scheduled that (my guess would be Andy, when he set everything up for Mom) might have earned himself one demerit - except that tired as I was I went right back to sleep, so all's well that ends well. :)

This morning I was up again at 6:00, but since we had moved the scale into the other bathroom temporarily Mom was able to do an official weight check. Of course because of her dietary restrictions (in recent years she's become seriously lactose intolerant) she wasn't able to eat any of the creamy sauces or decadent desserts like I 'forced' myself to do. She did, however, do her splurging on the wonderful assortment of breads that were constantly available at each meal. She was pleased to discover that she had not done much damage but since neither of us were having any issues with our pants fitting I could have told her that.

This afternoon we have a luncheon date with Ann and Cynthia (Mom's stitch-and-bitch partners in crime) over at the pub. The four of us usually combine our lunches with a trip to the cross-stitch, quilt, and knitting stores (all 3 in a row, in Catonsville) but maybe we thought Mom and I would not be up to it yet. Who knows? In any event I know we'll have our usual fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment