Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mom's birthday celebration was wonderful - and I have pix to prove it. Scrumptious dinner, cake with sparklers, rendition of Happy Birthday, hugs (and kisses), and dancing afterward. Late night of partying :)

Monday morning we Walked through the village of Viviers which is very quaint. Narrow streets between four-story buildings of stone, some built in 1200s, others are new(er), dating from the 1400s. Goat street: short wide doors for goats to enter and sleep, narrow taller doors for people to enter and climb stairs to sleep above the goats. Statue of Marianne (symbol of France) and Linden tree (symbol of liberty) in front of old city hall. This linden tree is a young one - previous one struck by lightning. Beautiful sycamore-lined boulevard from dock to village.

My camera battery had died as soon as we reached the village so instead of taking the second part of walk (up to the tower on top) I walked back to the boat (with Annie, who had forgotten her camera) to grab my second battery. (I have been keeping the spare battery in my fanny pack, but - naturally - that was the first time I didn't have it with me.) Annie and I retraced our steps and took lots and lots of pictures. Love that stone!

Back at le bateau there was a presentation of Antica Murrina (Italian glass jewelry.) Mom had already bought earrings when Viera was setting up, and after the presentation she bought a necklace. I found a pair of earrings I liked, but before I could pay for them Mom decided they would be my birthday present from her. :)

Another delicious lunch - buffet - and then a little free time, so I sat up on deck and relaxed in the sun with Liz and Betsy. While up there the captain came up to do something on the wheelhouse (which I considered a good omen...maybe we'll sail soon?) so I complimented him on the smooth ride so far... said it hadn't felt like we've been moving at all. He got a charge out of that, and quipped back that we probably were thinking that all of France looks the same since the scenery 'along the way' hadn't changed at all.

Grand Circle added a tour of a nougat 'factory' in Montimilar (to help make up for the lack of sailing) and then we were off (on the bus again) to Tournon for our home hosted dinner. En route we passed a large herd of goats 'working' in a park, eating some unwanted invasive weed that they apparently like.

We also passed a nuclear plant (one of many in the country) that had a painting on the tower of a child playing, advertising the safety of nuclear power.

Then we had a French lesson on the bus so were would be able to converse with our hosts. I had assumed that the hosts would speak English, but as we found out later that was not the case.

Arriving in Tournon we learned that the Inventor of the suspension bridge was from there. Their suspension bridge (the first one) was built in 1849.

Four of the Erie, PA group (Linda, Betty, Candy and Nate) joined us at Dani's house. She did not speak English (!) so until her friend Jean-Claude arrived I was the interpreter! We managed better than I expected, although wish i had had the time/energy to review my college French before the trip, and was relieved when Jean-Claude arrived. Dinner was delicious, although Grand Circle had not let her know I don't eat pork, which was her main course. There was MORE than enough of other things to fill me up, but i think she felt badly about it. Our dessert was a dreamy chocolate mousse which Mom couldn't eat, so I had a double portion. The time flew by, and we had to hurry to get pix taken and then back to the bus by 9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment