Wednesday, April 3, 2013


Being a mom is hard work - and sometimes it can be overwhelming.  

Last night around 9:00 Estera called to see if I could come over; she sounded upset so I headed there immediately.  Julianna was crying (and apparently hadn't eaten or slept since lunch time) and Ben wasn't home to help.  (I remember when our kids were babies and Tom was working out of town and only home every other weekend.  It's draining!) 

I was able to soothe Julianna a bit, and give Estera a chance to walk away and try and relax.  Because of J's medical issues with feeding, and the fact that the doctors are concerned because she's lost some weight recently, there's more than a little stress.  I was glad E called me (I know I would have loved to have a 'stand-in grandma' across the street from us in Kingman) and hope they all have a better day today...maybe something like this!

I've been working on the backing for the quilt this morning - I will get it done today - but had to take my own breather and walk away after I discovered I sewed two (very long pieces) together front-to-back instead of front-to-front (hard to see the seams on the black fabric.)  In a bit I'll go rip and start over, but for now I'm giving it a rest.

Today is the day I was scheduled to sit around to wait for my meds, to be delivered 'sometime' between 8 am and 8 pm.  This is only the second month's delivery, and last month it arrived around 6  pm.  But about 9:30 this morning the doorbell rang, and now I'm no longer chained to the house for the rest of the day.

Check out today's op ed article by columnist Thomas Friedman from the NY Times.  
I was very proud to read the part about Lisa's school, BASIS Tucson North!
“BASIS Tucson North, a nonselective high school serving an economically modest middle-class student population in Arizona, outperformed the average of every country in the world in reading, math, and science,” the report said. 
So what’s the secret of the best-performing schools? It’s that there is no secret. The best schools, the study found, have strong fundamentals and cultures that believe anything is possible with any student: They “work hard to choose strong teachers with good content knowledge and dedication to continuous improvement.” They are “data-driven and transparent, not only around learning outcomes, but also around soft skills like completing work on time, resilience, perseverance — and punctuality.” And they promote “the active engagement of our parents and families.”

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment