Saturday, August 26, 2017

Yesterday I stopped at the apple pools
to get a shot of the "ray" rock in the sunshine. 


Couldn't resist taking yet a few more pix in the sunshine; I'm usually stopping there earlier in the day, before the rays hit the pools.



I ended up sharing some of my trail mix with a couple of ladies who, though it was approaching lunchtime, had not yet eaten breakfast.  They were way more appreciative than they needed to be!

Matt was in party pool - and ready for me to start reciting before I even got in to soak. Others in water, also unfamiliar with Sam McGee, enjoyed it.  Never ceases to amaze me how few folks here in Cold Country have read/heard it before!



Christine showed up while I was soaking.  She hadn't been to Valley View since last summer, and hadn't planned a visit.  Sadly it turned out that she had just popped in for a healing soak on her way to Durango for the night; this morning she'll be attending a memorial on top of Purgatory for her cousin's 24-year-old son John.  While mountain biking outside Telluride, he was stuck and killed by lightning.


I knew that Christine is an artist (I still have her clay Ganesh from last year) and a writer/poet (I'm  waiting for the publication of her latest book of poems, mostly about Valley View, which should be out in a few months) but yesterday I learned that she is an editor for an on-line anthropology publication sapiens.org ("everything human") so of course I checked it out when I got back to the house.  I've already passed along an article on Folsom points to Tom, and one on umbraphiles to Mark.




On my way back to the house I swung by the parking lot, looking for new crop of bumper stickers.  The college crew was assembled outside the bathroom, and I stopped to let Keb know what a great job they did on the trail.  He asked me to "thank them" by reciting.  It turned out that only one of the group had heard it before, and everyone was very appreciative - but not as appreciative as I am for the major renovation they had done on the trails!



Last evening I stayed home with Neil while Terry attended a birthday celebration over at Major Creek. Neil didn't have to suffer from my cooking...we had plenty of leftovers!


No comments:

Post a Comment